Get Down Tonight
|"Get Down Tonight"|
French 7-Inch Single Cover
|Single by KC and the Sunshine Band|
|from the album KC and the Sunshine Band|
|B-side||“You Don’t Know”|
|Released||February 11, 1975|
|Length||3:12 (radio edit)
5:19 (album version)
|Writer(s)||Harry Wayne Casey, Richard Finch|
|Producer||Harry Wayne Casey, Richard Finch|
|KC and the Sunshine Band singles chronology|
"Get Down Tonight" is a song released in 1975 on the eponymous album by the disco group KC and the Sunshine Band. The song became widely successful, becoming the first of their five number-one hits on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. It also reached the top of the Hot Soul Singles chart and was an international chart hit, reaching #1 in Canada and charting in Australia (#44), Belgium (#11), the Netherlands (#5) and the UK (#21).
The song displays some of the signature characteristics of the disco era such as a fast tempo, and repeating lyrics. The song features a distinctive introduction, in which a recorded guitar solo is rendered at double speed in a distinct samisen rhythm over a normal-speed guitar line in the background.
The song was originally titled "What you Want Is What you Get" before KC changed the title to "Get Down Tonight".
- In 1988, "Get Down Tonight" was covered by British band Shriekback. Harry Wayne Casey appears in the videoclip for a few seconds.
- In 2010, The song was covered by Sing It Out Loud for the MTV original movie Turn The Beat Around soundtrack.
Appearances in other media
- In 1986, the song appears in the movie Sid and Nancy which was based on the life of Sid Vicious and Nancy Spungen.
- In 1994, the song appears in the movie Forrest Gump, but did not appear on the soundtrack.
- In 1996, the song was heard in the Australian film Hotel de Love.
- In 1998, the song appears in the American action comedy film Rush Hour. Also in 1998 it was sung by Rodney in Dr. Dolittle.
- In 1999, the song was featured in the film Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo
- In 1999 the song was also featured in the film Pirates of Silicon Valley.
- Also in 1999, the song appears in the movie Arlington Road.
- In the 2002 motion picture Austin Powers in Goldmember, the song is featured as part of the medley-song "Hey Goldmember" along with Earth, Wind & Fire's "Sing A Song" and two other KC & the Sunshine Band's songs, namely "(Shake, Shake, Shake) Shake Your Booty" and "That's the Way (I Like It)". The lyrics of all four songs were changed completely, and the song is performed by Foxxy Cleopatra, one of the movie's main characters, portrayed by Beyoncé Knowles.
- The song is played in the 2002 video game Grand Theft Auto: Vice City.
- In 2002 the song is played in Futurama episode Crimes of the Hot
- In 2007, this song was played in the medical drama House, M.D. - Season 3 Episode 16.
- In 2011, this song was playing during at a wedding dance in The Big Bang Theory Episode 90, Season 5.
|Australia (Kent Music Report)||44|
|Belgium (Ultratop 50 Flanders)||13|
|Belgium VRT Top 30||11|
|Canadian RPM Top Singles||1|
|Netherlands (Dutch Top 40)||5|
|Netherlands (Mega Single Top 100)||5|
|UK (Official Charts Company)||21|
|US Billboard Hot 100||1|
|US Billboard Hot Dance Club Play||6|
|US Billboard Hot Disco Singles||13|
|US Billboard Hot R&B Singles||1|
"Fallin' in Love" by Hamilton, Joe Frank & Reynolds
|Billboard Hot 100 number-one single
August 30, 1975
"Rhinestone Cowboy" by Glen Campbell
"Dream Merchant" by The New Birth
|Billboard Hot Soul Singles number-one single
August 23, 1975
"Your Love" by Graham Central Station
"Rhinestone Cowboy" by Glen Campbell
|Canadian RPM number-one single
September 27, 1975
"Ballroom Blitz" by Sweet
- Alex Henderson. "KC and the Sunshine Band review on Allmusic". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved May 23, 2013. "Fueled by such addictive funk hits as "That's the Way (I Like It)" and "Get Down Tonight," the album established K.C. as one of the top stars of the disco era."
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). Top R&B/Hip-Hop Singles: 1942-2004. Record Research. p. 315.
- Roberts, David (Ed.) (2004). British Hit Singles & Albums (17th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. ISBN 0-85112-199-3.
- "Search results for the artist 'Bamboo'". Everyhit.com. Retrieved 2010-08-18.
- "Ultratop.be – KC & The Sunshine Band – Get Down Tonight" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50.
- "Get down tonight in Canadian Top Singles Chart". Library and Archives Canada. Retrieved 12 June 2013.
- "Get down tonight in French Chart". Dominic DURAND / InfoDisc. Retrieved 12 June 2013. You have to use the index at the top of the page and search "KC & the Sunshine Band"
- "Indice per Interprete: K". HitParadeItalia (it). Retrieved 12 June 2013.
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – KC and The Sunshine Band search results" (in Dutch) Dutch Top 40.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – KC & The Sunshine Band – Get Down Tonight" (in Dutch). Mega Single Top 100.
- "1975 Top 40 Official UK Singles Archive - 26th April 1975". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 12 June 2013.
- "Simple Pleasures awards on Allmusic". Allmusic. Retrieved 5 June 2013.