|Single by Johnny Cash|
|Johnny Cash singles chronology|
The song is about optimism, centering on a shoeshine boy who "gets rhythm" to cope with the tedious nature of his job.
Alice Randall in the book "My Country Roots: The Ultimate MP3 Guide to America's Original Outsider Music" asks the question, "racist, racialist, or race appreciating? You decide. Maybe the grinning "boy" hides something worth knowing in his mask as well as behind his mask."
"Get Rhythm" was released in 1956 as the B-side to Cash's first Number One hit, "I Walk the Line." In 1969, the original recording of "Get Rhythm" was released as a single itself, with sound effects dubbed in to simulate the sound of a live recording. This rerelease went to #23 on the country charts.
|U.S. Billboard Hot Country Singles||23|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||60|
|Canadian RPM Country Tracks||1|
|Canadian RPM Top Singles||59|
"To See My Angel Cry"
by Conway Twitty
|RPM Country Tracks
November 15-November 22, 1969
by Harlow Wilcox
Martin Delray version
|Single by Martin Delray|
|from the album Get Rhythm|
|B-side||"The Very Thought of You"|
|Producer||Blake Mevis, Nelson Larkin|
|Martin Delray singles chronology|
In 1991, Martin Delray recorded a cover of the song on his debut album, also entitled Get Rhythm. Released as his debut single, Delray's version featured guest vocals from Cash, as well as a guest appearance by him in the music video. It peaked at #27 on the country charts.
|Canada Country Tracks (RPM)||18|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||27|
- Whitburn, Joel (2008). Hot Country Songs 1944 to 2008. Record Research, Inc. p. 84. ISBN 0-89820-177-2.
- Randall, Alice; Carter Little, Courtney Little (2006). My Country Roots: The Ultimate MP3 Guide to America's Original Outsider Music. Thomas Nelson, Inc. p. 92. ISBN 1-59555-860-8.
- Vinopal, David. "Martin Delray Biography". Allmusic. Retrieved 2007-11-24.
- "RPM Country Tracks. RPM. May 18, 1991. Retrieved August 16, 2013.
- "Martin Delray Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Martin Delray.