Getachew Haile is an Ethiopian-American philologist, Regents Professor Emeritus of Medieval Studies, and Curator, Ethiopian Study Center at College of Saint Benedict and Saint John's University.
He was born in Shenkora (then Shoa, Ethiopia) on April 19, 1933. From 1945 to 1951 he visited Trinity School in Addis Abeba. He graduated from the Coptic Theological College, Cairo, Egypt with a B.D. in 1957, from the American University in Cairo, with a B.A. in 1957, and from the Eberhard Karls Universität Tübingen, with a Ph.D. in Semitic Philology, in 1962.
- "Forum: Troubles in Ethiopia", The Washington Times, October 29, 2005
- The Homily of Zär'a Ya'əqob's Mäshafä Bərhan on the Rite of Baptism and Religious Instruction 2 vols. (ed.& tr.). Louvain: Peeters, 2013.
- A History of the first Estifanosite Monks. 2 vols. (ed. & tr.) Louvain: Peeters, 2011
- *The Ge'ez Acts of Abba Esṭifanos of Gwendagwende, 2 vols. (ed. & tr.). Louvain: Peeters Publishers, 2006, ISBN 978-90-429-1741-5
- A catalogue of Ethiopian manuscripts microfilmed for the Ethiopian Manuscript Microfilm Library, Addis Ababa, and for the Monastic Manuscript Microfilm Library, Collegeville, Volume 8, Authors William F. Macomber, Getatchew Haile, Monastic Manuscript Microfilm Library, St. John's Abbey and University, 1993, ISBN 978-0-940250-55-0
- Das Verbalsystem im Äthiopischen. Ein morphologischer Vergleich mit den orientalischen semitischen Sprachen. Diss., Tübingen 1962
- "Close Up and Personal", senamirmir.org