Ghosh, (Bengali: ঘোষ) is an Indian family surname found mostly amongst Bengali Kulin Kayastha Hindus. The word Ghosh is possibly derived from Ghosha, an ancient Indian female philosopher mentioned in the Vedas, or from Emperor Ghosha of the Sunga Empire, an ancient Indian kingdom.
Notable persons with surname Ghosh
Here is a list of the notable people with surname Ghosh:
- Aurobindo Ghosh, Indian poet, philosopher and freedom fighter
- Amitav Ghosh, writer
- Amitav Ghosh, banker
- Anirvan Ghosh, neuroscientist
- Anthony Ghosh, aka "DJ Talent", a London DJ & Britain's Got Talent contestant
- Anup K. Ghosh, Scientist and Program Manager in the Advanced Technology Office (ATO) of the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency
- Atulkrishna Ghosh, Indian revolutionary, member of the Anushilan Samiti
- Atulya Ghosh, Bengali politician and an able political organiser who had become a legend in Indian political circles
- Barindra Kumar Ghosh, Indian revolutionary and journalist
- Debaprasad Ghosh, Indian mathematician, linguist, lawyer, journalist, educationist
- Dipu Ghosh, Indian sportsman who represented India in several badminton tournaments in the 1960s
- Ganesh Ghosh, Bengali Indian independence activist, revolutionary and politician
- Helen Ghosh, British civil servant. She is currently the Permanent Secretary of the Home Office
- Jayanta Kumar Ghosh, an Indian statistician, currently emeritus professor at Indian Statistical Institute and a professor of statistics at Purdue University.
- Jayati Ghosh, British civil servant. She is currently the Permanent Secretary of the Home Office. Her 1984 doctoral thesis at Cambridge University was titled "Non capitalist land rent: theories and the case of North India" under the supervision of Mr T Byres.
- Joseph Ghosh, educationist
- Mahesh Chandra Ghosh, Bengali Indian philosopher
- Malay Ghosh, Distinguished Professor of Statistics at the University of Florida
- Mukunda Lal Ghosh (Paramahansa Yogananda), born Mukunda Lal Ghosh, was an Indian yogi and guru who introduced many westerners to the teachings of meditation and Kriya Yoga through his book, Autobiography of a Yogi
- Pallab Ghosh, an Indian science correspondent for BBC News
- Prafulla Chandra Ghosh, first Chief Minister of West Bengal, India
- Reshmi Ghosh former Miss India Earth in 2002.
- Rabi Ghosh, Bengali actor
- Rishab Aiyer Ghosh, Indian journalist, computer scientist and Open-source software advocate
- Rituparno Ghosh, Bengali film director
- Robin Ghosh, a musician and music composer
- Sangeeta Ghosh is Indian actress
- Sanjoy Ghosh, an Indian rural development activist known for his pioneering contributions to community health and development media
- Sarat Kumar Ghosh, ICS was a civil servant and a jurist.
- Shankha Ghosh, Bengali poet
- Shreela Ghosh, a former dancer, actress and reporter, became publicly known in the United Kingdom when she was cast as Naima Jeffery in 1985
- Shibdas Ghosh, Indian communist
- Shiulie Ghosh, BBC & ITN News Anchor
- Dhiman Ghosh, a First class and List A cricketer from Bangladesh.
- Subodh Ghosh, a Bengali writer
- Taposh Ghosh, a First class cricketer from Bangladesh
|This page or section lists people with the surname Ghosh. If an internal link intending to refer to a specific person led you to this page, you may wish to change that link by adding the person's given name(s) to the link.|