Nancy Drew: Ghost Dogs of Moon Lake
|Nancy Drew: Ghost Dogs of Moon Lake|
|Release date(s)||November 1, 2002|
Ghost Dogs of Moon Lake is the 7th installment in the Nancy Drew point-and-click adventure game series by Her Interactive. The game is available for play on Microsoft Windows platforms. It has an ESRB rating of E for moments of mild violence and peril. Players take on the first-person view of fictional amateur sleuth Nancy Drew and must solve the mystery through interrogation of suspects, solving puzzles, and discovering clues. There are two levels of gameplay, Junior and Senior detective modes, each offering a different difficulty level of puzzles and hints, however neither of these changes affect the actual plot of the game. The game is loosely based on two books, Nancy Drew Ghost Stories: Ghost Dogs of Whispering Oaks (1989) and Mystery by Moonlight (2002).  
Sally McDonald, a friend of Nancy Drew's father, recently purchased a house on Moon Lake in Pennsylvania. The house is the former residence of a Prohibition-era gangster named Mickey Malone. Sally fled from the house in terror on the very night Nancy arrived for a visit. According to Sally, every night a pack of ghost dogs with glowing eyes and mournful howls attack her house. The dogs are believed to be the ghosts of Malone's four loyal Rottweilers. They allegedly vanished into the woods on the day of Malone's arrest and were never seen alive again. Nancy seeks out the truth of Mickey Malone's colorful history amid rumors of buried gold.
- Nancy Drew - Nancy is an amateur detective who was asked by a friend of her father's to help solve a case in Moon Lake, Pennsylvania. She is the only playable character.
- Red Knott - Red is an avid birdwatcher who sleeps during the day so he can make bird calls at night. He distrusts tourists of any kind, viewing them as threats to the natural ecosystem of Moon Lake. He dislikes Nancy due to her loud, inquisitive manner and the strange accidents that trail her.
- Emily Griffen - Emily is the friendly owner of Em's Emporium at Moon Lake. She is a talkative source of information, and sells just about everything under the sun in her store. Her antiques are rare, but she may be using suspicious methods to get hold of them.
- Jeff Akers - Ranger Akers is the only ranger in charge of Moon Lake State Park. He has a strict personality and takes pleasure in ticketing people and enforcing park rules, which has made him unpopular with the residents of Moon Lake. Sally's purchase of the old Malone place ruined his hope of the parks department purchasing the property and increasing the size of the state park.
- Sally McDonald - A friend of Nancy's father and the new owner of a 1920s-era lake house. She is frequently terrorized by the ghosts of Mickey Malone's dogs, and flees to her aunt's home in Philadelphia on the night of Nancy's arrival. She is a good source of information about Moon Lake's residents and the old Malone house.
- Bess Marvin and George Fayne - Nancy's long time best friends who are phone friends in the previous games. They can be called for hints.
- Frank Hardy and Joe Hardy - Nancy's friends who work for a secret organization called ATAC. They are undercover detectives. Like Bess and George, they can be called for hints.
- Vivian Burnett Whitmore - Malone's ex-girlfriend who now lives in Las Vegas. She is a good source of information about Mickey Malone and the old Malone house.
- Eustacia Andropov - A returning character from Nancy Drew: The Final Scene. She is Harry Houdini's cousin and makes a small cameo over the phone when talking to Vivian.
- Emily Griffen - Katie Klein
- Jeff Akers - Scott Plusquellec
- Red Knott - David S. Hogan
- Sally McDonald - Keri Healey
- Vivian Burnett Whitmore - Margaret O'Malley
- Bess Marvin - Alisa Murray
- George Fayne - Maureen Nelson
- Frank Hardy - Joshua Silwa
- Joe Hardy - Rob Jones
- Eustacia Andropov - Alena Saunders 
Call 555-SOLV (555-7658) on the phone. There will now be an Easter egg in the inventory. Go to the woods. Take the egg out of the inventory and go the following directions (note: some of the directions specified are not possible without the egg. For example, it may say to go right and the only direction you can go is left. That is where the egg comes in. Wave it to the direction specified and you will be able to go off the path):
- From the yellow ribbon: R, L, R
- From the entrance to the forest: R, L, R, L, L, R, R, R
- From the entrance to the forest: L, R, L, L, R, R, R, R
In each of the games, there are different points where Nancy can make "fatal errors." These points are usually when she blows her cover as a detective or gets seriously injured. At such points, the game will stop and give the player the option to try again before the fatal error occurred. If the player doesn't wish to retry, then the game is over. The fatal errors in Ghost Dogs of Moon Lake include:
- Falling through the floor by walking on rotten floorboards.
- Suffocating in the shed by pushing too many times on the gas pump.
- Blowing up the motorboat by setting the torque incorrectly.
- Drowning in the lake by failing to wear the life jacket.
- Burning/Suffocating to death by failing to escape from the shed fire in time.
- Burning down the forest by failing to put out the shed fire after escaping.
- Falling in the tunnel if you explore it without a flashlight.
- Drowning by opening the vault when it is full of water.
- Being beaten to death by failing to escape the culprit in time.
References to Previous Games
References to previous games in the series include:
- Emily sells Koko Kringle bars in her store (Nancy Drew: Secret of the Scarlet Hand)
- Brady Armstrong is referenced in the magazine in the cavern (Nancy Drew: The Final Scene)
- Eustacia Andropov is friends with Vivian Whitmore (Nancy Drew: The Final Scene)
- The well is manufactured by Krolmeister (Nancy Drew: Secret of the Scarlet Hand)
- The ski boots in the shed are the boots that belong to Professor Hotchkiss. (Nancy Drew: Treasure in the Royal Tower)
- Mayan temples are mentioned in a magazine in the cavern (Nancy Drew: Secret of the Scarlet Hand)
Nancy Drew: Secret of the Scarlet Hand
|Nancy Drew Computer Games||Succeeded by
Nancy Drew: The Haunted Carousel