In 2006, his first production The Measure of Things was a nominee for the Student Academy Awards. Later that year, he went on to produce Angela Schanelec’s feature film Afternoon and began working as a producer for Wim Wenders’s film The Palermo Shooting, which premiered at the official selection of the Festival de Cannes 2008. In 2009, he produced Angela Schanelec’s feature film Orly, a co-production with the Paris-based company La Vie Est Belle, that premiered at the Berlin International Film Festival in 2010. In addition, Ringel produced Wenders's 3D dance film Pina, a co-production with Claudie Ossard and her company Eurowide Film Production, Paris. Pina premiered out of competition in the official selection of the Berlinale 2011 and has since been awarded numerous prizes, including the German Film Award 2011 and the European Film Award 2011 for Best Documentary. The same year, Ringel was chosen as a “Producer on the Move” and co-produced the film Wolf by Bogdan Mustata. In 2012, Ringel was a member of the Berlinale jury for the award “Made in Germany – Perspektive Fellowship”. In addition, he has been a nominee for the BAFTA award in the category Best Film not in the English Language and the Academy Award for Best Documentary (Feature).
Ringel is managing director and partner of Neue Road Movies, a member of the European producers’ network EAVE and member of the German and European Film Academy.
- 2004: The Measure of Things
- 2007: Afternoon
- 2008: The Palermo Shooting
- 2010: Orly
- 2011: Pina
- 2012: Wolf (in post production)
- 2006: 33. Student Academy Awards, Nomination 2006 for The Measure of Things
- 2010: "Filmkunstpreis" 2010 for Orly at the Festival of German Films, Ludwigshafen
- 2011: European Film Award for Pina as "Best Documentary (Feature)"
- 2011: "Producer on the Move 2011" by German Films Service + Marketing
- 2011: Deutscher Filmpreis 2011 for Pina as "Best Documentary"
- 2012: 84. Academy Award Nomination for Pina as "Best Documentary (Feature)"
- 2012: BAFTA- Nomination 2012 for Pina as “Best Film Not in the English Language”
- Gian-Piero Ringel at the Internet Movie Database
- Official Website Neue Road Movies
- Official Website Pina