González (top) playing for Costa Rica at the 2014 FIFA World Cup against Uruguay
|Full name||Giancarlo González Castro|
|Date of birth||February 8, 1988|
|Place of birth||Desamparados, San José, Costa Rica|
|Height||1.91 m (6 ft 3 in)|
|2007–2008||Costa Rica U-20||2||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 12:15, 18 February 2015 (UTC).
† Appearances (Goals).
González began his career with Alajuelense in 2007. He was a key player in helping Alajuelense win three league titles. He joined Norwegian club Vålerenga after his contract expired on 31 July 2012. During his time at Vålerenga, González appeared in 37 league matches and scored two goals.
On 21 February 2014, González signed with Columbus Crew. On 15 April 2014, the MLS Disciplinary Committee fined González an undisclosed amount for "embellishment" for an incident in the 92nd minute of the game against the San Jose Earthquakes on 13 April. González was also nominated for the satirical "Fallon d'Floor" award for this effort.
After his performances at the 2014 FIFA World Cup, González received interest from a number of European clubs, and on 26 August 2014 Palermo of Italy's Serie A confirmed to have signed him on a three-year deal. He made his debut on 19 October 2014, playing the full 90 minutes in a home game against Cesena, and scoring the winning goal on this début in the first minute of injury time.
Nicknamed Pipo, González made his senior international debut for Costa Rica in a friendly against Slovakia on 5 June 2010. In January 2013, he scored the lone goal in a 1–0 victory over Honduras in the 2013 Copa Centroamericana final.
2014 World Cup
In June 2014, González was named in Costa Rica's squad for the 2014 FIFA World Cup. In the team's team's first two group matches, he and his central defensive colleagues Michael Umaña and Óscar Duarte allowed only one goal as Los Ticos beat Uruguay (3–1) and Italy (1–0) to qualify for the knockout stage. Costa Rica completed the group stage unbeaten, recording a second consecutive shutout in a 0–0 draw with England in Belo Horizonte. González's play at the back was listed by several as key to the team's progression from the group stage. His countless interceptions and tackles led to him being named to the ESPN Best XI of the group stage. During the round of 16, González was the third of five Costa Rican players to successfully convert his kick in a 5–3 penalty shootout defeat of Greece. He was included in the BBC's team of the tournament.
- As of 18 February 2015
|2014||Columbus Crew||Major League Soccer||17||1||0||0||17||1|
- Scores and results list. Costa Rica's goal tally first.
|1.||May 25, 2012||Estadio Nacional de Costa Rica, San José||Guatemala||0–2||0–2||Friendly|
|2.||January 27, 2013||Estadio Nacional de Costa Rica, San José||Honduras||0–1||0–1||2013 Copa Centroamericana|
- Sports Illustrated: Giancarlo González
- "Martin Andresen forsterker med costaricansk landslagsspiller" (in Norwegian). TV2 Sporten. 6 March 2012. Retrieved 1 August 2012.
- "Crew signs Costa Rican International Giancarlo Gonzalez". Columbus Crew. February 21, 2014. Retrieved February 21, 2014.
- "MLS Disciplinary Committee Fines Giancarlo Gonzalez".
- "Fallon d'Floor". Retrieved 18 December 2014.
- "GONZALEZ E' DEL PALERMO CONTRATTO TRIENNALE PER IL CENTRALE" (in Italian). US Città di Palermo. 26 August 2014. Retrieved 26 August 2014.
- Giancarlo González – FIFA competition record
- Giancarlo ‘Pipo’ González es vital en el centro de la defensa de la Selección de Costa Rica - Nación (Spanish)
- "Costa Rica World Cup 2014 squad". The Telegraph. 2 June 2014. Retrieved 20 June 2014.
- "Uruguay 1-3 Costa Rica". BBC. 14 June 2014. Retrieved 22 June 2014.
- "Italy 0-1 Costa Rica". BBC. 20 June 2014. Retrieved 22 June 2014.
- Taylor, Daniel (24 June 2014). "England end disappointing World Cup with barren draw against Costa Rica". The Guardian. Retrieved 25 June 2014.
- "Costa Rica 1-1 Greece". BBC. 29 June 2014. Retrieved 30 June 2014.
- Giancarlo González: El soñador que emergió de sus lágrimas - Nación (Spanish)