Gianni Pittella (Lauria, 19 November 1958) is an Italian politician and Member of the European Parliament for the Southern area. He was the First Vice President of the European Parliament for the seventh parliament. He is a member of the Italian Democratic Party and is a member of the Socialists and Democrats (S&D) parliamentary group. He is also the President of the political association Prima Persona.
In the sixth parliament, Pittella represented the Democrats of the Left (DS) as part of the Party of European Socialists group and sat on the European Parliament's Committee on Budgets. He was a substitute for the Committee on Economic and Monetary Affairs, substitute for the Delegation to the European Union-Romania and European Union-Moldova Joint Parliamentary Committees.
- Graduate in medicine and surgery
- specialised in medicine for legal and insurance purposes
- Regional Secretary of the Young Socialists
- Member of the DS national leadership
- DS national official responsible for Italians in the world
- 1979: Municipal Councillor
- 1980: Member of Regional Council and Member of Regional Executive with responsibility for training, culture and productive activities
- 1996: Member of the Italian Parliament
- since 1999: Member of the European Parliament
- since 2009: First Vice President of the European Parliament
See also 
External links