Gibraltar Medallion of Honour
|Gibraltar Medallion of Honour|
|Location||Gibraltar City Hall|
|Presented by||Mayor of Gibraltar|
|Currently held by||See Recipients|
The Gibraltar Medallion of Honour (GMH) is a civil award scheme established by the Government of the British overseas territory of Gibraltar. Its creation was announced in July 2008 by Chief Minister of Gibraltar, Peter Caruana. It ranks below the Freedom of the City of Gibraltar.
The Gibraltar Medallion of Honour is awarded annually by the Gibraltar Parliament on "living or deceased Gibraltarians and others who the Parliament considers have served and contributed to the interests of Gibraltar and its people in an exceptional manner that is particularly worthy of special recognition by the House on behalf of the people of Gibraltar".
Once approved by Parliament, the awards are officially announced by the Mayor of Gibraltar prior to the symbolic release of the red and white balloons on Gibraltar National Day. The Mayor then presents the recipients with the Medallions in a private ceremony held at a later date.
- Albert Risso — for services to trade unionism.
- Jacobo Azagury — for services to the arts.
- Rudecindo Mania — for services to the arts.
- Sir Howard Davis - for public service
- William Gomez — for services to music.
- Joseph Pitaluga — for public service.
- Dorothy Ellicott — for public service and service to heritage.
- Manolo Mascarenhas — for service to broadcasting.
- John Mackintosh — for philanthropy.
- Peter Isola — for services to politics.
- Aaron Cardozo — for services to Gibraltar.
- Jose Netto — for services to trade unionism and workers.
- Adolfo Canepa, (former Chief Minister) — for public services and services to politics.
- Joseph Gaggero — for services to aviation, shipping, business and commerce.
- Maurice Xiberras — for public services and services to politics.
The 2010 sole recipient of the Gibraltar Medallion of Honour was:
The 2011 sole recipient of the Gibraltar Medallion of Honour was:
The Roll of Honour
A roll of Medallion recipients is kept: the Roll of Honour. Every year the historical roll is published. Besides the recipients of the Medallion, all recipients of the Freedom of the City are automatically entered into the roll. They are the following:
- Gustavo Bacarisas (painter)
- James Joseph Giraldi (doctor)
- Sir Joshua Abraham Hassan (former Mayor and Chief Minister)
- Sir Robert Peliza (former Chief Minister)
- The Rt Revd Monsignor Patrick Devlin (former Roman Catholic Bishop)
- The Lord Merrivale
- The Lord Bethel
- The Lord Hoyle JP
- Gibraltar Medallion of Honour
- "Government proposes a scheme for Parliament to recognise and honour". Government of Gibraltar. 15 July 2008. Retrieved 2010-01-02.
- Gibraltar Chronicle - Mayor's National Day message, 'We Are Gibraltar'
- "Gibraltar Medallion of Honour – 2009 Awards". Government of Gibraltar. 17 June 2009. Retrieved 2010-01-02.
- Gibraltar Chronicle - 'We Are Gibraltar'
- Gibraltar Chronicle - Gibraltar Honours Past and Present Citizens
- "Kaiane Receives Rock's Top Accolades For Miss World Triumph". Gibraltar Chronicle. 8 July 2011. Retrieved 15 July 2011.
- "Gibraltar Medallion". Government of Gibraltar. July 2008. Retrieved 2010-01-02.
- Mascarenhas, Alice (9 September 2010). "Top Gib Award Honours Bernard Linares". Gibraltar Chronicle. Retrieved 12 October 2010.