|Born||Seoul, South Korea|
|Education||Harvard Business School
University School of Nashville
|Occupation||President of the San Francisco 49ers|
Gideon Yu (born May 14, 1971) is a Korean-American sports executive and a high technology investor and advisor.
Yu is currently the team president and a co-owner of the San Francisco 49ers football team. Prior to his career in professional sports management, Yu was a high-technology executive, most notably as the Chief Financial Officer of both Facebook and YouTube as well as the Senior Vice President and Treasurer of Yahoo.
Gideon graduated from Stanford University, majoring in Industrial Engineering and Engineering Management and received his MBA from Harvard Business School. In 1989, he received the First Place Grand Award in Environmental Science at the 40th International Science and Engineering Fair.
Prior to joining the San Francisco 49ers football team, Yu was a General Partner at Khosla Ventures, where he led the firm's investment in Square and was the founding outside board member (Yu's board seat was later transferred to Vinod Khosla).
Previously, Gideon was the Chief Financial Officer of Facebook, where he led the $375 million investment round from Microsoft and Hong-Kong billionaire Li Ka Shing at a then record $15 billion valuation.
Before Facebook, Gideon was a Partner at Sequoia Capital, and was also the Chief Financial Officer at YouTube where he negotiated its $1.65 billion sale to Google amidst a competitive auction for the company.
Prior to YouTube, Gideon was the Treasurer and Senior Vice President of Finance for Yahoo where he executed over 30 acquisitions/investments for Yahoo, including Alibaba, Taobao, Overture, Inktomi, Flickr, del.icio.us and over $5 billion of capital markets transactions. Prior to Yahoo, Gideon was the Chief Financial Officer of NightFire Software (acquired by NeuStar, NYSE: NSR) and held positions at Disney, Hilton, and DLJ / CSFB.
- Kawakami, Tim. "49ers add former Facebook exec Gideon Yu: Is there more to this?". San Jose Mercury News. Retrieved 29 June 2011.
- Facebook Hires Gideon Yu as Chief Financial Officer. Wall Street Journal, July 25, 2007
- YouTube Hires Gideon Yu as Chief Financial Officer. TheStreet.com, September 3, 2006
- Yahoo Executive Officers
- Businessweek Bio on Gideon Yu
- Khosla Ventures raises $1b+ and hires Gideon Yu as Partner. New York Times, August 31, 2009
- Vinod Khosla Succeeds Gideon Yu as Board Member of Square
- Facebook Hires Yu as Chief Financial Officer. Wall Street Journal, July 25, 2007
- Microsoft Invests $240 million in Facebook at a $15 billion valuation. New York Times, October 25, 2007
- Li Ka Shing Invests $120 million in Facebook at a $15 billion valuation. Reuters, March 27, 2008
- Gideon Yu becomes a Partner at Sequoia Capital. VentureBeat, April 23, 2007
- How the Google – YouTube Deal was signed. Gawker, September 27, 2007
- Google Buys YouTube for $1.65 billion. CNNMoney, October 9, 2006
- Yahoo Corporate Officers. Yahoo 2005 Annual Report
- UCSF Foundation Board of Directors
- Tipping Point Community Board of Directors
- BUILD Board of Directors
- 2011 "Forbes" Names You Need to Know
- The 2010 Silicon Valley 100
- Yu Among Treasury & Risk Magazine’s 40 under 40
- Fortune article on former Google employees
|Current team presidents/CEOs of the National Football League|
|American Football Conference|
|AFC East||AFC North||AFC South||AFC West|
|National Football Conference|
|NFC East||NFC North||NFC South||NFC West|
|Note - Some teams may have both a President and CEO, in those cases the highest ranked of the two (according to the team) will be listed|