A gigapixel image is a digital image bitmap composed of one billion (109) pixels (picture elements), 1000 times the information captured by a 1 megapixel digital camera. Current technology for creating such very high-resolution images usually involves either making mosaics of a large number of high-resolution digital photographs or using a film negative as large as 12" × 9" (30 cm × 23 cm) up to 18" × 9" (46 cm × 23 cm), which is then scanned with a high-end large-format film scanner with at least 3000 dpi resolution. Only a few cameras are capable of creating a gigapixel image in a single sweep of a scene, such as the Pan-STARRS PS1 and the Gigapxl Camera.
A gigamacro image is a gigapixel image which is a close up or macro image.
Gigapixel images may be of particular interest to the following:
- Curators and art historians, to better study artworks
- Health care providers, such as pathologists, for virtual microscopy utilizing whole slide images (digitally scanned glass microscope slides, also called virtual slides)
- Physicists viewing the results of supercomputer simulations
- Viewers of satellite composite images for various purposes, including agricultural policy, land use planning, and military intelligence
- Visual effects industry, where gigapixel images can enable the creation of immersive digital environments
A terapixel image is an image composed of one trillion (1012) pixels. Though currently rare, there have been a few instances such as the Microsoft Research Terapixel project for use on the Fulldome projection system, a composite of medical images by Aperio, and Google Earth's Landsat images viewable as a time-lapse are collectively considered over one terapixel.
- Coca-Cola 600 - World record gigapixel image at Coca-Cola 600
- Gigapixel Tour - Gigapixels From France
- GigaLinc - Immersive interaction with gigapixel images
- Largest photographs in the world
- Powerwall - Computer technology for interactive gigapixel displays
- HD View - Microsoft's high resolution image viewer plug-in (Windows only - IE & Firefox)
- Gigapan - A Google/NASA/CMU spinout technology that includes a commercially available robotic imager, free stitcher, and web-based viewer
- Gigapxl Project
- Toledo 15 Gigapixels
- Technique for creating and viewing gigapixel macro images
- Gigapixel camera developed at Duke University
- "No. 24 - 2007: PS1 Camera Installed". .ifa.hawaii.edu. Retrieved 2013-02-25.
- Microsoft Research Terapixel
- Digital Pathology Leader Extends Support for TIFF Standard to Image Files Larger than 4GB, Creates World’s First Terapixel Image
- How Google built a 52-terapixel time-lapse portrait of Earth
|This photography-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|