Desk clerk Bill Jackson and Dirty Dragon at the front desk of the Gigglesnort Hotel.
|Created by||Bill Jackson|
|Country of origin||USA|
|First shown in||1975|
Gigglesnort Hotel is a syndicated children's television program which aired starting in 1975 and ran for 78 episodes, until about 1978. It was hosted by Bill Jackson, previously best known as the host of the Chicago-based children's program, The BJ and Dirty Dragon Show. The program was set, as the title implies, at an old hotel, where Jackson's role was a desk clerk. The program featured many of the characters from the previous show, including Dirty Dragon, the Old Professor, Weird, Old Mother Plumtree, and several others, such as the hotel's owner, Old Man Gigglesnort, who were created just for the program.
The show was widely praised by critics, and became one of the highest rated children's shows in WLS-TV history. It was syndicated in 1978, airing in several markets nationwide as well as Canada, Italy, and Saudi Arabia.
Jackson made a final appearance for a presentation for the Museum of Broadcast Communications, "Saturday Morning with B.J. and Dirty Dragon: Bill Jackson, Live in Person—One Last Time", in December 2009, saying this would be his last time appearing as a performer. In 1995, he donated all his original puppets to Chicago's Museum of Broadcast Communications.
- "Bill Jackson Interview". Toonarific. 1 April 2001. Retrieved 13 February 2011.
- Caro, Mark (1 October 2009). "Catching up with local children's TV legend Bill Jackson". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 13 February 2011.
- Okuda, Ted; Mulqueen, Jack, eds. (2004). The Golden Age of Chicago Children's Television. Lake Claremont Press. p. 249. ISBN 1-893121-17-8. Retrieved 6 February 2011.
- Hollis, Tim, ed. (2001). Hi there, boys and girls! America's local children's TV shows. University of Mississippi. p. 361. ISBN 1-57806-396-5. Retrieved 6 February 2011.
- "Chicago Emmy Awards". Chicago chapter-National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences. 1977–1978. Retrieved 13 February 2011.(PDF)
- "Chicago Emmy Awards". Chicago chapter-National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences. 1976–1977. Retrieved 13 February 2011.(PDF)
- "Cartoon Town, BJ and Dirty Dragon". Chicago Television. Retrieved 14 February 2011.
- "Last Chance To Gigglesnort". Illinois Entertainer. 30 October 2009. Retrieved 14 February 2011.
- "B.J. and Dirty Dragon's Bill Jackson to Revisit the Golden Age of Chicago Children’s Television with LIVE Performance". Museum of Broadcast Communications. 12 November 2009. Retrieved 13 February 2011.
- Gigglesnort Hotel at the Internet Movie Database
- DirtyDragon.com—episodes for sale on DVD
- Gigglesnort Hotel at TVParty!
- RealLans.com—Blog entries from one of the puppeteers
- BJ & Dirty Dragon Photo Gallery Chicago Tribune
|This article about a children's television series is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|