Gilbert, Count of Montpensier
|Gilbert de Bourbon, Count of Montpensier|
Coats of Arms of Gilbert, Count of Montpensier
|Noble family||House of Bourbon-Montpensier|
|Father||Louis de Bourbon|
|Mother||Gabrielle La Tour|
|Died||15 October 1496
Gilbert de Bourbon, Count of Montpensier (1443 – October 15, 1496, Pozzuoli) was the son of Louis de Bourbon and Gabrielle La Tour, Count of Montpensier and Dauphin d'Auvergne. He was appointed to the Order of Saint Michael by Charles VIII in October 1483.
Gilbert was the first person, after a number of divisions of Auvergne in the Middle Ages, to carry the bloodlines of the respective dynasties of each of the three main divisions of Auvergne, the countship, the dukedom and the dauphinate.
His paternal grandmother Marie of Berry, Duchess of Bourbon, was heiress to the duchy of Auvergne. The creation for the Berry and Bourbon branches was made of lands that were confiscated from the count of Auvergne by Philip II of France. His paternal great-grandmother Anne of Auvergne was daughter of the dauphin of Auvergne and after the extinction of her brother's line, in her issue the heiress thereof. Though Gilbert was by no means the primogenitural heir to any of them, as head of the cadet branch of his family, he received Montpensier and the dauphinate as appanages inside the extended family.
Marriage and issue
- Louise, Duchess of Montpensier (1482 – 5 July 1561), eventually the heiress of all the Bourbon estates, but not titles
- Louis II, Count of Montpensier (1483 – 14 August 1501)
- Charles III, Duke of Bourbon (17 February 1489 – 6 May 1527, in battle), from 1503 onwards the heir male of Bourbon ducal dynasty
- François, Duke of Châtellerault (1492 – 13 September 1515, Battle of Marignano)
- Renée, Lady of Mercœur (1494 – May 26, 1539, Nancy), married on June 26, 1515, at the Château d'Amboise to Antoine, Duke of Lorraine
- Anne (1495 – 1510, Spain)
- The Biographical Dictionary of the Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge, Vol 4, (Longman, Brown, Green, and Longmans, 1844), 234.
- Boulton, D'Arcy Jonathan Dacre, The Knights of the Crown, (The Boydell Press, 2000), 444.
- Boulton, D'Arcy Jonathan Dacre, The knights of the crown, (The Boydell Press, 2000)
- The Biographical Dictionary of the Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge, Vol 4, (Longman, Brown, Green, and Longmans, 1844)
Gilbert, Count of MontpensierBorn: 1443 Died: 15 October 1496
|Count of Clermont-en-Auvergne and Montpensier
|This biography of a French peer or noble is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Kingdom of France-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|