Giles Blunt is a Canadian novelist and screenwriter born in 1952 (age 61–62) in Windsor, Ontario. His first novel, Cold Eye, was a psychological thriller set in the New York art world, which was made into the French movie Les Couleurs du diable (Allain Jessua, 1997).
He is also the author of the John Cardinal novels, set in the small town of Algonquin Bay, in Northern Ontario. Blunt grew up in North Bay, and Algonquin Bay is North Bay thinly disguised — for example, Blunt retains the names of major streets and the two lakes (Trout Lake and Lake Nipissing) that the town sits between, the physical layout of the two places is the same, and he describes Algonquin Bay as being in the same geographical location as North Bay.
The first Cardinal story, Forty Words for Sorrow, won the British Crime Writers' Association Silver Dagger, and the second, The Delicate Storm, won the Crime Writers of Canada's Arthur Ellis Award for best novel, as did the sixth, "Until the Night." The 2010 John Cardinal novel Crime Machine was described as "a richly plotted work by one of Canada's best mystery novelists."
He also has written No Such Creature, a "road novel" set in the American southwest, and Breaking Lorca, which is set in a clandestine jail in El Salvador in the 1980s. Twice nominated for the Dublin IMPAC award, his novels have been compared to the work of Ian Rankin and Cormac McCarthy.
Giles Blunt received the honorary degree of Doctor of Education on June 12, 2014, from Nipissing University.
- 1989 Cold Eye Avon Books, US & Canada (paperback) ISBN 0-380-70876-0
- 2000 Forty Words for Sorrow Random House Canada ISBN 0-425-18516-8 (John Cardinal series)
- 2002 The Delicate Storm Random House Canada ISBN 0-425-19678-X (John Cardinal series)
- 2005 Blackfly Season Random House Canada ISBN 0-425-20957-1 (John Cardinal series)
- 2006 By the Time You Read This Random House Canada ISBN 0-679-31244-7 (also published as The Fields of Grief; John Cardinal series)
- 2008 No Such Creature Random House Canada ISBN 978-0-679-31431-8
- 2009 Breaking Lorca Random House Canada ISBN 978-0-307-35700-7
- 2010 Crime Machine Random House Canada ISBN 978-0-679-31433-2 (John Cardinal series)
- 2012 Until the Night Random House Canada ISBN 978-0679314356 (John Cardinal series)
- Cannon, Margaret (2010-12-18). "Margaret Cannon’s Deathly Dozen for 2010". The Globe and Mail. Retrieved 2010-12-22.
- O'Keefe, Catherine (2005-12-05). "Review: The Detective John Cardinal Mystery Series". Seven Oaks. Retrieved 2010-12-22.
- National Post Nov. 28, 2008