|This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2013)|
Giles Martin backstage at the show LOVE
|Birth name||Giles Martin|
|Born||9 October 1969|
Giles Martin (born 9 October 1969) is an English record producer, songwriter, composer and multi-instrumentalist. His studio recordings, stage shows, TV and film works have been critically acclaimed and commercially successful across the globe. He is the son of Sir George Martin, the producer of almost all of The Beatles' records, and the half-brother of the actor Gregory Paul Martin.
Giles Martin grew up without much awareness of The Beatles, and was discouraged by his father from pursuing a career in music lest the inevitable comparisons should be made between father and son. Giles ignored the advice, first playing in the band Velvet Jones, then writing jingles in college.
In 1995, he was appointed co-music director for the television and radio music countdown show, The Great Music Experience. He worked on the Party at the Palace concert to celebrate Queen Elizabeth II's Golden Jubilee, for which he also produced the subsequent album and DVD.
In 2004 he produced Hayley Westenra's multi-platinum album Pure, the UK's fastest-selling classical album of all time. Other acts Martin produced include Kula Shaker, Jeff Beck, Elvis Costello, INXS, and Kate Bush.
In 2006 Martin collaborated with his father to remix, rearrange, and recombine the music of The Beatles into a soundscape for Love, a theatrical production of Cirque du Soleil, which opened at The Mirage in Las Vegas. His use of digital music production and manipulation techniques allowed him to create Love's musical mash-ups. He went on to produce the music for the final Broadway performance of Rent and worked with Martin Scorsese on his George Harrison film documentary Living in the Material World.
In 2009 Martin returned to the Beatles catalogue with The Beatles: Rock Band, a video game that allows players to simulate performing Beatles songs with plastic instruments. Martin produced the title's music, cleaning and reworking the audio to suit the game's mechanics.
Martin has received two Grammy awards, both in 2007 for the Love soundtrack album, as a producer of the Best Compilation Soundtrack Album For Motion Picture, Television Or Other Visual Media and as a surround producer of the Best Surround Sound Album.
- 1994 The K’s (also known as Kula Shaker) (GUT)
- 1994 My Life Story (Mother Tongue)
- 1995 The Glory of Gershwin (Mercury)
- 1995 The Choir (BBC)
- 1995 The Great Music Experience
- 1996 The Beatles Anthology (EMI/Apple)
- 1996 Monorail – Hairdressing (Edel)
- 1996 Paramount Television
- 1996/7/8 Velvet Jones (Naked)
- 1996/7 in My Life (Echo/MCA)
- 2000/1 The Alice Band (Instant Karma/Sony)
- 2002 Party at the Palace – Live show, CD and DVD releases (EMI/Virgin)
- 2003 Hayley Westenra – Pure (Universal/Decca)
- 2004 Willard White – My Way (Sony/BMG)
- 2004/5 Hayley Westenra – Odyssey (Universal/Decca)
- 2004/06 – Love (Apple/Cirque du Soleil/MGM/EMI)
- 2007 Kim Richey — Chinese Boxes (Vanguard)
- 2007 Paco Peña — Requiem
- 2008 RENT — Live on Broadway (Sony Pictures)
- 2008/9 The Beatles Rock Band (MTV Networks)
- 2009/10/11 George Harrison: Living in the Material World
- 2013 Paul McCartney — New (Hear Music)
- Mark Espiner. "Sounds and vision". The Guardian.
|Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to: Giles Martin|
- Giles Martin – Management biography
- Giles talks to Matt Everitt about the Paul McCartney "NEW" album
- Giles talks to Alexis Petridis about producing "LOVE"
- Interview with both Martins regarding "LOVE"
- Technical article on production, Giles Martin talks to Harvey Kubernik
- Giles Martin video interview