in his studio, photographed by a friend
Born in Da Lat, Vietnam in 1938, Gilles Larrain, the great great grand son of Paul Blanchy, first mayor of Saigon from 1895 to 1901, and the first producer of pepper in Viet Nam, started in education at the Lycée Français de New York from 1954 to 1957, before who went through the École Nationale des Beaux-Arts (architecture), in Paris from 1960 to 1965, and one of the pioneers in kinetic art in the 1960s, using air, smoke, light, water and neon tubes. He later became a photographer and artist in Soho, Manhattan, where he realized among other works well-known posters of Miles Davis, Sting and Billy Joel. He also photographed John Lennon, Yoko Ono, Jerry Rubin and Salvador Dalí, and created record covers for Sting, Miles Davis and Billy Joel. Gilles has since become a great follower of flamenco, even taking up the guitar. Shortly after New York's fashion designer Louda entered his life, Larrain began to organize regular Art Salon Parties where both new and confirmed artists meet, together with willing amateurs.
In an April 2010 article in Vice Magazine, photographer Ryan McGinley identified Gilles Larrain as one of his early influences with his Idols photography book (1973). 
Main past works 
- 1973 Idols (edited by Ralph Gibson) "Photographs are my reactions to the provocation of beauty - whatever that may be"
- 1985 Exquisite Creatures (edited by Jim Clyne), together with Robert Mapplethorpe, Deborah Turbeville, Roy Volkmann : visions of the ineffable beauty of women
- 1985 American Ballet Theatre, Souvenir book; Mikhail Baryshnikov, director.
- 1988 The profoto book of flash together with Annie Leibovitz, Yukio Shimizu, Jan Bengtsson : the history of studio lighting
- 1991 Mirrors of memory, one-man show, Dallas Meadows Museum
- 1993 Daily life, with Antonio Vizcaino : ancient history of Mexico
- 1997 Jean-Marc HUITOREL, Francis LACLOCHE, Photographie d'une collection, 2. OEuvres photographiques de la Caisse des dépôts et consignations, Paris, Hazan, 1997, 173 p., ill. NB et coul., invent.
Main exhibitions 
- 1966 Gilles Larrain - Southampton East Gallery, NYC, USA - Paintings
- 1966 50 New-York artists - Max's Kansas City, NYC, USA - Group show
- 1967 Light, Motion, Space - Walker Art Center - Minneapolis, Minnesota - Kinetic art (First kinetic art exhibition in the USA) - Group show Curated by Willoughby Sharp
- 1967 Luminism - The Artist Club - NYC, USA - Group show - Kinetic Art Curated by Willoughby Sharp
- 1967 Espace dynamique en constant mouvement, 5eme Biennale, Musée d'Art Moderne de la Ville de Paris, France
- 1968 Neon Sculptures, I - Benson Gallery, Long Island, New York, USA
- 1968 Neon Sculptures, II - Neue Kunst Museum - Munich, D
- 1968 6th Annual Avant-Garde Festival, NYC, USA
- 1969 Inflated Children's Paintings, Shakespeare's Theater, NYC, USA
- 1969 Induction Square, Suffolk Museum, NYC, USA
- 1969 Tubulaire, avec François Dallegret, prix Les Levine, Musée d'Art Moderne, Paris, France
- 1971 Art et technologie, Centre Sigma, Bordeaux, France - group show
- 1972 The objective eye, Galerie Baecker, Bochum, Germany
- 1973 Exposition mondiale de photographie, Hamburg, Germany - group show
- 1975 90 Black and White Prints, Paleis voor Schone Kunsten (Palais des Beaux-Arts), Brussels, Belgium - Group show
- 1975 Faces and Spaces, Services culturesl francais, Ambassade de France, NYC, USA
- 1978 Portraits, The Harkness House Gallery, New York
- 1978 Portraits II, The Nary Center, Santa Cruz, California, USA
- 1980 I Sing The Body Electric', The Squibb Gallery, Princeton, New Jersey, USA - Group show
- 1981 Interfaces, Aspen Institute, Aspen, Colorado, USA
- 1982 Interfaces, Wye Plantation, Aspen Institute, Queenstown, DC
- 1982 Portraits, Agathe Gaillard Gallery, Paris, France
- 1983 Portraits, Alliance Française, New York, USA
- 1984 American Ballet Theater Photos, Dyansen Gallery 57, NYC, USA
- 1985 Dixieme Anniversaire, Agathe Gaillard Gallery, France
- 1985 Art Werburg, Gallery Tabula, Tübingen, Germany
- 1987-1992 Body and Faces II', Services Culturels Français, Circulating show in the USA for 5 years.
- 1990-1991 Photo Icons, Meadows Museum, Dallas
- 1991 Photographes de la Galerie. Centre de la Photographie, Geneva, Switzerland
- 1993 Multiple Choices Here and Now. One-man Exhibition, The French Embassy, New York
- 1993 “A retrospective: The Photographs of Gilles Larrain 1972-1993″. The Union League Club, New York
- 1995 “32 Photographic Diptychs”. One-man Exhibition, Henry Buhl Foundation, New York.
- 1996 “Nudeyork”. Exhibition and book by 31 photographers, Mary Anthony Galleries, New York
- 1996 “Jazz Portraits”. Group Exhibition, Center of Photography, Woodstock, New York
- 2000 “Le nu photographié”. Group Exhibition of Photographie, Galerie d’Art du Conseil Général des Bouches-du Rhône, Aix-en-Provence, France
- 2001 “Flamenco: Landscape of its Soul”. One-man Exhibition, King Juan Carlos I of Spain Center, New York University, New York
- 2004 “Collection d’oeuvres photographiques de la Caisse des Dépôts et Consignations”.Group Exhibition, Centre Culturgest, Lisbonne, Portugal
- 2006 “Flamenco: Paisaje del Alma“. One-man Exhibition, Fundacion Tres Culturas, Sevilla, Spain. View Book
- 2006 “Flamenco: Paisaje del Alma“. One-man Exhibition Casa Escorza, Guadalajara, Mexico. View Book
- 2007 “Flamenco: Paisaje del Alma “. One-man Exhibition Instituto Nacional Bellas Artes, Tetuan, Morocco View Book
- 2007 “Flamenco: Paisaje del Alma”. One-man Exhibition Musee Municipal, Agadir, Morocco View Book
- 2007 “Flamenco: Paisaje del Alma”. One-man Exhibition Palace Abdellya, Tunis, Tunisia View Book
- 2007 “Flamenco: Paisaje del Alma”. One-man Exhibition Auditorium di Roma, Rome, Italy View Book
- 2007 “Flamenco: Paisaje del Alma”. One-man Exhibition Instituto Cervantes, Prague, Czech republic View Book
- 2008 “Flamenco: Paisaje del Alma”. One-man Exhibition Centro Cultural Español, Miami, Florida View Book
- 2009 PROHIBIDO EL CANTE. FLAMENCO Y FOTOGRAFÍA. Group Exhibition Centro Andaluz de Arte Contemporáneo, Sevilla, Spain
- 2010 NO SINGING ALLOWED. FLAMENCO & FOTOGRAFÍA Group Exhibition Aperture Gallery, NYC, USA
- 2011 Idols. One-man Exhibition View Book
- 2011 wHat Group Exhibition Gallerie 103, Po‘ipu, Kaua‘i
- 2012 Vidas Gitanas, Lungo Drom Group Exhibition Centro Cultural CajaGranada, Granada, España
- 2012 Retrato Flamenco. Cristobal Hara y Gilles Larrain Two-men Exhibition De Lamadrid Gomez, Jerez de la Frontera Cadiz, España
Selected Press 
- 2010. "Social Disrobing and Other Party Fare". The New York Times.
- 2010. "GILLES LARRAIN: Interviewed by Ryan McGinley". Vice Magazine.
- 2010. "Light Show: Gilles Larrain & Miho Nikaido". S Magazine.
- 2010. "Gilles Larraín: Nuestro hombre en el Soho". Qué debate.
- 2009. "Gilles Larrain: Retratos flamencos de un alma gitana". bluemonk moods.
- 2009. "Gilles Larrain: An invitation to the GoTo SoHo Salon". on the Jitney.
- 1997. "Gilles Larrain: The French Chef of Photography". View Camera.
- 1981. "Gilles Larrain: Profile". Zoom Magazine: English Edition.
- 1972. "Gilles Larrain: Idols". Zoom Magazine: French Edition.
"Photography is a way of asking questions and finding some answers."
Notes and references 
Related links