Gilroy (Caltrain station)
Gilroy Rail Station
The station building at Gilroy.
|Address||7150 Monterey Street
Gilroy, California, 95020
|Platforms||1 side platform|
|Bicycle facilities||Lockers available|
|Owned by||Peninsula Corridor Joint Powers Board|
|Fare zone||Fare zone 6|
|Passengers (2014)||140 per weekday 8.7%|
Gilroy Station is a Caltrain station located in Gilroy, California. It is the southernmost terminus on the Caltrain line, and is only served during commute hours on weekdays. It is located in Fare Zone 6. Gilroy is a former Southern Pacific Railroad depot that was adopted by the Peninsula Corridor Joint Powers Board. Amtrak's Coast Starlight passes through Gilroy between Salinas and San Jose Diridon, but does not stop.
Platforms and tracks
|Mainline track||■Coast Starlight||No stops|
|Caltrain||■Local service||toward San Francisco, peak hours only (San Martin)|
|■Limited-stop service||toward San Francisco, peak hours only (San Martin)|
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (November 2012)|
Once every year, Caltrain operated a special limited-stop train from San Francisco to Gilroy that operated during the weekend of the Gilroy Garlic Festival in Christmas Hill Park. Shuttle buses would take passengers from the Caltrain station to the festival. This service was suspended when Caltrain began their CTX project in 2002, temporarily suspending all weekend train service on the route to upgrade tracks between San Francisco and San Jose stations for Baby Bullet service. When weekend service resumed in 2004, Caltrain opted to end the annual Garlic Train. The Golden Gate Railroad Museum chartered weekend trains to Gilroy during the festival for a few years, but those charters were later discontinued. Caltrain announced that the "Garlic Train" would resume service for the 2013 Garlic Festival.
California High Speed Rail
The Gilroy Rail Station is one of two sites that California High Speed Rail is considering for its Gilroy stop, with the other site on lands immediately east of Gilroy Premium Outlet.
- Caltrain. "February 2014 Caltrain Annual Passenger Counts". Retrieved 2014-07-11.
- Existing Railroad Stations in Santa Clara County, California
- Cohen, Gail. "How to Prepare for the Gilroy Garlic Festival". USA Today. Retrieved 2013-01-10.
- "Garlic Train to roll to @gilroygarlicfes July 27 & 28. #yum". Official Caltrain news Twitter feed. Caltrain. Retrieved 7 June 2013.
- Media related to Gilroy Station at Wikimedia Commons
- Station information (Caltrain)
- Station information (Transit Unlimited)
- Park & Ride Lots - Gilroy Caltrain Station at VTA