Gimhae International Airport
|Gimhae International Airport
Gimhae Gukje Gonghang
Kimhae Kukche Konghang
|Operator||Korea Airports Corporation, Republic of Korea Air Force|
|Location||Gangseo District, Busan, South Korea|
|Hub for||Air Busan|
|Elevation AMSL||6 ft / 2 m|
Gimhae International Airport (formerly Kimhae International Airport) (IATA: PUS, ICAO: RKPK) is located on the western end of Busan, South Korea. It opened in 1976. A new international terminal opened on October 31, 2007. Gimhae International Airport is the main hub for Air Busan. Runway 18L/36R is used for military purposes only, but due to increasing traffic, there are plans to open the runway for airliners. In 2013, 9,671,381 passengers used the airport.
Around 2013, Busan had announced that it was proposing to cease Gimhae International Airport's operation on all passenger planes, due to the small size, small maximum amounts of space and sky-routes, and safety. They plan to move Busan's primary airport to the island of Gadeok-do, an island in southwestern Busan.
- 1 Airlines and destinations
- 2 Traffic and statistics
- 3 Ground transportation
- 4 Curfew
- 5 Incidents and accidents
- 6 See also
- 7 References
- 8 External links
Airlines and destinations
Traffic and statistics
In 2012, the ten carriers with the largest percentage of passengers flying into, out of, or through Gimhae International Airport are as follows:
|9||China Eastern Airlines||84,505||84,505||0.92%|
Busiest routes from Busan
|Rank||Airport||Passengers 2012||Flight||Top carriers|
|1||Jeju||2,701,266||17,802||Air Busan, Asiana Airlines, Jeju Air, Korean Air|
|2||Seoul-Gimpo||2,190,719||18,734||Air Busan, Jeju Air, Korean Air|
|3||Seoul-Incheon||270,534||2,768||Asiana Airlines, Korean Air|
Airport Limousine Bus
- Gimhae International Airport ↔ Seomyeon ↔ Busanjin Station ↔ Busan Station ↔ Jungang-dong ↔ Nampo-dong ↔ Chungmu-dong(Seo-gu Office)
- Gimhae International Airport ↔ Namcheon-dong ↔ Suyeong Intersection ↔ BEXCO ↔ Haeundae ↔ Jangsan Station ↔ Haeundae New Town
- Gimhae International Airport ↔ Namcheon-dong ↔ Gwangan Bridge ↔ BEXCO ↔ Haeundae New Town ↔ Jangsan Station ↔ Haeundae
- 1009 : Geumgok-dong ↔ Deokcheon Station ↔ Gupo Station ↔ Gangseo-gu office Station ↔ Gimhae Airport ↔ Myeongji ↔ Noksan indus. complex ↔ Busan New Port ↔ Gadeok-do Sunchang
- 307 : Gimhae Airport ↔ Gangseo-gu office Station ↔ Gupo Station ↔ Gupo Market ↔ Deokcheon Station ↔ Mandeok Tunnel ↔ Dongnae ↔ Centum City (BEXCO) ↔ Haeundae
- Gangseo No. 11 : Ulman ↔ Gimhae Int'l Airport ↔ Gangseo-gu office Station ↔ Buk-gu Office ↔ Gupo Station ↔ Gupo Market
- Gangseo No. 13 : Hadan Station ↔ Eulsukdo ↔ Myeongji ↔ Deokdu ↔ Gimhae Int'l Airport ↔ Gangseo-gu office Station ↔ Buk-gu Office ↔ Gupo Station ↔ Gupo Market ↔ Deokcheon JCT
The curfew prevents aircraft from taking off or landing between the hours of 11 P.M. and 6 A.M.
Incidents and accidents
- On January 31, 2001: Japan Airlines Flight 958, bound for Narita International Airport from Busan, nearly collided with another Japan Airlines aircraft. The other aircraft, a Boeing 747, suddenly dove and avoided the Narita-bound DC-10. See 2001 Japan Airlines mid-air incident.
- On April 15, 2002, a Boeing 767-200ER jet, operating as Air China Flight 129 from Beijing to Busan, crashed into a hill while trying to land at Gimhae during inclement weather, killing 128 of the 166 people on board.
- On August 12, 2007, at 9:37 local time, a Bombardier Dash 8 Q400 aircraft, operated by Jeju Air, skidded off the runway at Gimhae International Airport, Busan, injuring 6 people and damaging the aircraft, particularly the left propeller.
- Gimhae Air Base
- List of Korea-related topics
- Pusan East (K-9) Air Base
- Transportation in South Korea
- Airport information for RKPK at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.
- Air Traffic by Airport[dead link]
- "김해국제공항 ‘하늘길 두 배로’". Retrieved 2007-11-06.
- "Air Busan Adds Busan - Yanji Service from Jan 2015". Airline Route. 9 December 2014. Retrieved 9 December 2014.
- "China Southern to Start Guangzhou - Busan Service from July 2014". Airline Route. 18 May 2014. Retrieved 18 May 2014.
- "HK Express to Start Busan Service from Aug 2014". Airline Route. 12 May 2014. Retrieved 12 May 2014.
- "Jeju Air Adds Busan - Guam Service from Jan 2015". Airline Route. 30 October 2014. Retrieved 30 October 2014.
- Jeju Air skids of runway in South Korea Flight Global 13/08/07
- "Jeju Air Dash 8 skids off runway". Flight International. 21–27 August 2007. p. 18.
- Gimhae International Airport English homepage
- Information about Gimhae International Airport
- City of busan: Busan official website