Gimme Shelter (2013 film)
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Ron Krauss|
|Produced by||Ron Krauss
|Written by||Ron Krauss|
James Earl Jones
|Music by||Ólafur Arnalds|
|Cinematography||Eric Steven Kirkland|
|Edited by||Marie-Hélène Dozo
Day 28 Films
|Distributed by||Roadside Attractions|
|Running time||101 minutes|
Agnes "Apple" Bailey (Vanessa Hudgens) has never had an easy life. She's been in and out of foster care for years, and her mother June (Rosario Dawson) is an abusive addict who only wants her for the welfare money she provides. She decides to run away and go in search of her absent father, Tom Fitzpatrick (Brendan Fraser), whom she discovers is now a wealthy Wall Street broker with a family. He agrees to take her in, but she's quickly forced out again when he learns she's pregnant and doesn't agree with her decision to keep the baby.
After stealing a car and crashing it, Apple winds up in hospital. The chaplain there, Father McCarthy (James Earl Jones), arranges for her to stay in a shelter for young mothers, run by a spiritual woman named Kathy (Ann Dowd). June is informed that Apple will be staying on there and attempts to take her home, but is forced to leave after she gets violent.
Apple bonds with the other girls at the shelter, beginning to open up and trust them. She gives birth to a baby girl and names her Hope. Tom comes to visit and the two reconcile. He offers to let Apple and Hope come live with him, but as they're leaving Apple realizes she's already made a home for herself at the shelter and decides to stay.
- Vanessa Hudgens as Agnes "Apple" Bailey
- Rosario Dawson as June Bailey
- Carlos Alvarez as Maple Bailey
- Brendan Fraser as Tom Fitzpatrick
- James Earl Jones as Father McCarthy
- Candace Smith as Marie Abeanni
- Shiela Tapia as Officer Sue
- Joseph Ferrante as Officer Cole
- Emily Meade as Cassandra
- Stephanie Szostak as Joanna Fitzpatrick
- Allen Holloway as Guest Motel
- Natalie Guerrero as Tina
- Laneya Wiles as Jasmine
- Rachel Mattila as Nicky Lotito
- Ann Dowd as Kathy
- Gena Bardwell as Afra
- Tashiana R. Washington as Destiny / Princess
- Karina Bonnefill as Maternity Nurse
- Susan Jayne Brown as Maternity Doctor
- Joe Mancini as Construction Foreman
- Jade Jackson as Tawana
The film was filmed in New York, and New Jersey. Filming started June 9, 2011.
Gimme Shelter received generally negative reviews from film critics. Film review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes gives a film critic score 22% "rotten" based on 66 reviews, with an average score of 4.6/10. The film received an audience score of 66% based on 7,489 reviews with an average score of 3.7/5.
On www.rogerebert.com, critic Sheila O'Malley rated the film 2 1/2 stars out of 3, saying the "scenes between Dawson and Hudgens vibrate with pain and ugliness. The script is often obvious, with all feelings laid out too cleanly, but both actresses still manage to create a jagged relationship based on their characters' codependence and shared traumas. One of the film's strengths is its portrayal of the 'system' and what it does to abused children, and the layers of bureaucracy that make it hard to bring about meaningful change in people's lives." 
- Kit, Boris (2011-04-29). "Vanessa Hudgens, Brendan Fraser to Star in Indie Drama 'Gimme Shelter' (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2011-06-17.
- "Movie Audition – teen girl ‘Gimme Shelter’". Retrieved 2011-06-17.
- "New York Production Listings". Retrieved 2011-06-17.
- Gimme Shelter, review by Sheila O'Malley, www.rogerebert.com, January 24, 2014
- Official website
- Gimme Shelter at the Internet Movie Database
- Gimmie Shelter at Rotten Tomatoes
- Gimmie Shelter at Metacritic
|This 2010s drama film–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about an independent film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|