Gimme Some Lovin'
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2009)|
|"Gimme Some Lovin'"|
|Single by The Spencer Davis Group|
|B-side||"Blues in F"|
|Genre||Rock, blue-eyed soul|
|Label||Fontana TF762 (UK)
United Artists UA50108 (US)
|Writer(s)||Steve Winwood, Spencer Davis, Muff Winwood|
|The Spencer Davis Group singles chronology|
"Gimme Some Lovin'" is a song written by Steve Winwood, Spencer Davis and Muff Winwood, although solely credited to "Steve Winwood" on the UK single label, and originally performed by The Spencer Davis Group. The basic riff of the song was borrowed from the Homer Banks song "(Ain't That) A Lot of Love", written by Banks and Willie Dean "Deanie" Parker. "Gimme Some Lovin'" was a UK No. 2 in the Autumn of 1966 and a US No. 7. The song is ranked No. 247 on the Rolling Stone magazine's list of The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time.
The version issued in the UK (and probably most of Europe) is different from that issued in the US on the United Artists label, being slower, and lacking backing vocals, some percussion, and the "live sounding" performance found on the US single. (The US version has more often been used on reissue CDs, even those coming from Europe.) The single features the sound of the Hammond B-3 organ.
- The song has been covered by many other artists, including The Blues Brothers in the 1980 film The Blues Brothers.
- The Beach Boys recorded the song on April 4, 1972 and June 23, 1977 with lead vocals by Brian Wilson.
Uses in film and television
"Gimme Some Lovin'" has been used frequently in television and movies, including the films:
- The Age of Adaline
- Hamburger Hill
- The Boat That Rocked
- Iron Eagle
- Operation Dumbo Drop
- Wild Hogs
- Flight of the Phoenix
- Notting Hill
- The Blues Brothers
- Mr. Destiny
- Sweatin' To The Oldies 3
- The Big Chill
- Good Morning, Vietnam
- Brian's Song
- Days of Thunder
- Soul Surfer
- Tropic Thunder
The song has been used in television shows, including:
- "The Brothel Wars", an episode of Crime Story
- An episode[which?] of Heartbeat
- An episode[which?] of Jeremy Clarkson's Motorworld
- An instrumental version was one of the most frequently played songs by the Lakers band for years, and was especially audible on television during breaks in action at The Forum in Inglewood.
The song has also appeared in commercials for:
References in other works
- David Bowie sampled the song in "Join The Gang", from his 1967 eponymous album.
- Mashup artist Girl Talk used a sample of "Gimme Some Lovin'" in the opening track of his CD, Feed The Animals
- Zombie Nation samples the song in the opening track to his album Zombielicious, "Mas De Todo".
- American novelist Mary McGarry Morris stated in a 2009 interview on National Public Radio that the idea for her seventh novel "The Last Secret" came to her as she was listening to the song.
- Respect 2003 Page
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 143. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.
- Doe, Andrew Grayham. "VAULTS". Endless Summer Quarterly. Retrieved December 11, 2014.
- Jagernauth, Kevin (28 August 2013). "Watch: New Clip From 'Rush' Plus Details On The Soundtrack Which Includes David Bowie, Thin Lizzy & Hans Zimmer". IndieWire. Retrieved 2013-09-22.