Orion Township, Michigan
|Charter Township of Orion, Michigan|
Location of Orion Township within Oakland County, Michigan
|• Total||35.9 sq mi (93.1 km2)|
|• Land||33.4 sq mi (86.4 km2)|
|• Water||2.6 sq mi (6.7 km2)|
|Elevation||1,004 ft (306 m)|
|• Density||990/sq mi (380/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|ZIP codes||48359, 48360, 48362|
|Area code(s)||248, 947|
|GNIS feature ID||1626859|
Orion Charter Township (pronounced OR-ee-un) is a charter township of Oakland County in the U.S. state of Michigan. The population was 35,394 at the 2010 census. The official motto of the township and village is "Where living is a vacation". "Lake Orion" is often used to describe both the village and the township. Orion Township (Lake Orion), is located almost exactly between Flint, Michigan and Detroit, Michigan.
- Lake Orion is an incorporated village located within Orion Township.
The Township has three unincorporated communities:
- Eames began as a station on the railroad in 1874. It was given a post office in 1883.
- Lake Orion Heights is located between Lake Orion, Square Lake and Elkhorn Lake( Elevation: 1007 ft./307 m.).
- Gingellville, also Gingleville, is located at Baldwin and Gregory Roads ( Elevation: 1017 ft./310 m.).
Former places include:
- Rudds Mill (also known as Rudds Station) is located at Kern and Clarkston Roads ( Elevation: 945 ft./288 m.).
- Cole was a station on the Pontiac, Oxford and Northern Railroad. It had a post office from 1884 until 1907.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 35.9 square miles (93 km2), of which 33.3 square miles (86 km2) is land and 2.6 square miles (6.7 km2), or 7.18%, is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 33,463 people, 12,246 households, and 8,976 families residing in the township. The population density was 1,003.3 per square mile (387.4/km²). There were 12,837 housing units at an average density of 384.9 per square mile (148.6/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 95.42% White, 1.26% African American, 0.27% Native American, 1.18% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 0.61% from other races, and 1.23% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.56% of the population.
There were 12,246 households out of which 39.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 63.0% were married couples living together, 6.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 26.7% were non-families. 20.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 4.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.71 and the average family size was 3.19.
In the township the population was spread out with 28.5% under the age of 18, 7.3% from 18 to 24, 36.4% from 25 to 44, 21.7% from 45 to 64, and 6.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 34 years. For every 100 females there were 102.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 100.5 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $71,844, and the median income for a family was $83,514. Males had a median income of $61,562 versus $36,481 for females. The per capita income for the township was $30,299. About 2.0% of families and 3.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 3.5% of those under age 18 and 4.1% of those age 65 and over.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Orion Township, Michigan
- "Race, Hispanic or Latino, Age, and Housing Occupancy: 2010 Census Redistricting Data (Public Law 94-171) Summary File (QT-PL), Orion charter township, Oakland County, Michigan". U.S. Census Bureau, American FactFinder 2. Retrieved August 22, 2011.
- "Orion Township Home Page". Retrieved 26 November 2011.
- Walter Romig, Michigan Place Names, p. 168
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Lake Orion Heights, Michigan & GNIS in Google Map
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Gingellville, Michigan & GNIS in Google Map
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Rudds Mill, Michigan & GNIS in Google Map
- Walter Romig, Michigan Place Names, p. 125
||Brandon Township||Oxford Township||Addison Township|
|Independence Township||Oakland Township|
|Waterford Township||Auburn Hills||Rochester Hills|
||Perry Lake Heights||Lake Orion|