Zee in 2014
|Born||Ginger Renee Zuidgeest
January 13, 1981
Orange, California, U.S.
|Alma mater||Valparaiso University (B.S.)|
|Known for||Television meteorologist|
|Spouse(s)||Ben Aaron (m. 2014)|
Ginger Renee Colonomos (born January 13, 1981 née, Zuidgeest), known by her pseudonym Ginger Zee, is an American television personality. She is the current weather anchor for Good Morning America on ABC and before that was their weekend weather anchor. Zee is the weather editor for all of ABC News' platforms.
Background and education
Zee was born Ginger Renee Zuidgeest on January 13, 1981 in Orange, California to mother Dawn E. Zuidgeest-Craft (née Hemleb) and father Robert O. "Bob" Zuidgeest. She has a younger brother named Sean Jeffrey Zuidgeest. Zee was named for "Ginger" from Gilligan's Island by her Dutch father, due to his love of the show that helped him learn English.
In her extended family, Zee has a step-dad named Carl John Craft, and two half-sisters Adrianna and Elaina Craft. Zee's paternal grandparents are Adriaan Cornelis "Adrian" or "Arie" Zuidgeest and Hillegonda "Hilda" Zuidgeest (née VanderShoor), who both immigrated to the United States from the Netherlands. Zee's maternal grandfather is George Joseph Hemleb and grandmother Paula Adeline Wesner.
In 1999, Zee graduated from Rockford High School in Rockford, Michigan. After that, Zee went on to Valparaiso University, where she obtained a Bachelor of Science degree in meteorology. Her goal at graduation was to be a meteorologist on The Today Show by age 30.
After graduating college, Zee worked for various media outlets such as WEYI-TV in Flint, Michigan, WYIN-TV in Merrillville, Indiana, WLAV-FM and WOOD-TV both in Grand Rapids, Michigan, and WMAQ in Chicago, Illinois. NBC owned and operated WMAQ. While working at WMAQ from 2006-2011, Zee was asked once to fill in as a guest meteorologist on the weekend edition of The Today Show, and this fulfilled her high school goal. In addition, Zee is an AMS Certified Broadcast Meteorologist.
On December 2, 2013, ABC News announced that Zee would succeed Sam Champion, who took a job with The Weather Channel as lead meteorologist for Good Morning America and weather editor for ABC News.
- Feder, Robert (November 7, 2011). "For Ginger Zee at ABC, ‘absolute dream’ comes true". Time Out. Time Out Group Limited. ISSN 1711-7976. Retrieved June 9, 2014.
- California Birth Index. "Ginger Renee Zuidgeest". California Birth Index. Retrieved June 9, 2014.
- Love Story Net (August 22, 2008). "Hilda (Zuidgeest) VanderShoor - Grand Rapids, MI : August 22nd 2008". LifeStoryNet, LLC. Retrieved June 10, 2014.
- Borrelli, Christopher. "The stormy rise of Ginger Zee". Chicago Tribune (2010-06-30). Retrieved 2013-10-31.
- Grand Rapids Press (December 18, 2011). "George Hemleb Obituary". Grand Rapids Press. Retrieved June 10, 2014.
- Pierson, Coleen (November 12, 2011). "Rockford's Ginger Zee makes her debut on 'Good Morning America'". MLive.com. Booth Newspapers. Retrieved June 10, 2014.
- "Hall of Fame class of 2012 inductees announced". The Rockford Squire/Squire News (2012-07-05). Retrieved 2013-10-31.
- "Ginger Zee makes Today Show debut". WOOD TV (2010-02-27). Retrieved 2013-10-31.
- "Ginger Zee's Biography". ABC News (2011-11-04). Retrieved 2013-10-31.
- "Ginger Zee starts new job at America". WOOD TV (2011-11-12). Retrieved 2013-10-31.
- Andreeva, Nellie (2013-12-02). "Sam Champion Leaves ‘Good Morning America’ For Weather Channel, Ginger Zee To Replace Him". Deadline. PMC. Retrieved 2014-01-18.
- Stemer Rood, Zak (May 30, 2014). "Ginger Zee: Taken by storm". Chicago Splash. Chicago Sun-Times. Retrieved June 9, 2014.
- Corriston, Michele (2014-06-08). "Ginger Zee Shares Beachy Wedding Portraits". People.com. People Magazine. Retrieved 2014-06-08.