Goodwin at the 2012 San Diego Comic-Con International
|Born||Jennifer Michelle Goodwin
May 22, 1978
Memphis, Tennessee, U.S.
Jennifer Michelle Goodwin (born May 22, 1978), known professionally as Ginnifer Goodwin, is an American television and film actress. She is best known for her role as Margene Heffman on Big Love, and for her roles in films like Mona Lisa Smile, Something Borrowed, and He's Just Not That Into You. She currently has a lead role as Mary Margaret Blanchard/Snow White in the ABC series Once Upon a Time.
Goodwin was born in Memphis, Tennessee. Her mother, Linda (née Kantor), is a former educator and "stay-at-home mom", who later worked for FedEx and Apple. Her father, Tim Goodwin, formerly owned and operated a recording studio. Goodwin changed her name from "Jennifer" to "Ginnifer" to distinguish her name, and to assist in pronunciation of her name in her regional dialect. Her younger sister, Melissa Goodwin, is a stop motion animator on shows such as the Emmy Award-winning Robot Chicken, on which Ginnifer has also appeared as voice talent.
Her mother is Jewish and her father is of Welsh descent; Goodwin was raised in her mother's faith. In her youth, Goodwin was affiliated with the North American Federation of Temple Youth, and was active in BBYO at the Jewish Community Center in Memphis; she had a bat mitzvah. She went to school at St. Mary's Episcopal School in Memphis, Tennessee. She then graduated from Lausanne Collegiate School in 1996, then attended Hanover College (majoring in Theatre) for one year before moving on to earn her Bachelor of Fine Arts from Boston University. While a student at BU, she performed in numerous student short films, as well as several college and local stage productions. Goodwin was given the "Excellence in Acting: Professional Promise Award" by the Bette Davis Foundation, and graduated with honors. After her time at Boston University, she studied in England at Stratford Upon-Avon’s Shakespeare Institute, in conjunction with the Royal Shakespeare Company. The following year she earned an "Acting Shakespeare Certificate" at London’s Royal Academy of Dramatic Art.
Goodwin first had roles in the popular NBC television programs Law & Order and Ed before appearing in the Comedy Central television movie Porn 'n Chicken. She later had substantial roles in the films Mona Lisa Smile, Win a Date with Tad Hamilton!, Walk the Line—in which she portrayed Vivian Liberto, Johnny Cash's first wife—and Birds of America. She also played Dori Dumchovic in the dark comedy Love Comes to the Executioner. Goodwin played a leading role as Margene Heffman, the third wife in a polygamous family, on the HBO original series Big Love, which concluded on March 20, 2011. Ginnifer has recurring voice roles in the Cartoon Network show, Robot Chicken, the animation of which her younger sister Melissa Goodwin is involved.
In 2008, Max Mara honored Goodwin with a "Face of the Future" award, an award recognizing up and coming women in film. Also, Goodwin was one of the celebrities featured in Gap's Fall 2008 ad campaign.
Goodwin starred as Gigi in He's Just Not That into You, which was released in February 2009. For this role she received a nomination for the People's Choice Award for Breakout Movie Actress. In April 2009 she began filming Ramona and Beezus (playing "Aunt Bea").
In 2011, Goodwin plays Mary Margaret Blanchard, a teacher in Storybrooke, Maine, as well as fairy tale heroine Snow White, in the revisionist fantasy adventure television program, Once Upon a Time, which debuted on ABC.
After two years of dating, Goodwin became engaged to actor Joey Kern in December 2010. They ended the engagement in May 2011. Goodwin subsequently began dating her Once Upon a Time co-star Josh Dallas in fall 2011. The couple became engaged on October 9, 2013, and on November 20, 2013, announced that they are expecting their first child.
Goodwin was a vegan and was a spokesperson for Farm Sanctuary's Adopt-A-Turkey Project in 2009, having adopted a whole flock herself. She revealed on Jimmy Kimmel that she gave up being a vegan after experiencing undisclosed health issues. She said: "I'm always learning and growing and changing and there were some boring health issues, and so I did actually have to work some animal products back into my diet." Goodwin says although she's never had a "dramatic weight problem", she uses Weight Watchers to keep her indulgences in check. She considers herself an extremely healthy person, and balances her diet with ballet classes and cardio workouts. In 2013, Goodwin stated that, after she left Memphis, she "up and left Judaism for a very long time", and that "for 10 years, there was nothing. No ritual. No tradition. No community". More recently, she has reconnected with her faith.
|2000||Zelda: An Extrospective Journey||Zelda||Short film|
|2003||Mona Lisa Smile||Connie Baker|
|2004||Win a Date with Tad Hamilton!||Cathy Feely|
|2005||Walk the Line||Vivian Cash|
|2006||Love Comes to the Executioner||Dori Dumchovic|
|2007||In the Land of Women||Janey|
|2008||Birds of America||Ida|
|2009||He's Just Not That Into You||Gigi|
|2009||Single Man, AA Single Man||Mrs. Strunk|
|2010||Ramona and Beezus||Aunt Bea|
|2011||Take Me Home Tonight||Banky|
|2001||Law & Order||Erica||Episode: "Myth of Fingerprints"|
|2001-2004||Ed||Diane Snyder||Recurring role (25 episodes)|
|2002||Porn 'n Chicken||Maya||TV film|
|2005-2007||Robot Chicken||Various (voice)||Recurring role (7 episodes)|
|2006-2011||Big Love||Margene Heffman||Main role (53 episodes)|
|2007||Big Love: In the Beginning||Margene Heffman||Episodes: "Meet the Babysitter", "Moving Day"|
|2009||Crappy Holidays Presents...||Episode: "Crappy Easter"|
|2011||SpongeBob SquarePants||(voice)||Episode: "Welcome to the Bikini Bottom Triangle"|
|2011||Margene's Blog||Margene Henrickson||Episode: "Crush Story"|
|2011–present||Once Upon a Time||Mary Margaret Blanchard / Snow White||Main role (52 episodes)|
|2012||Electric City||Jean Marie St. Cloud||Main role (20 episodes)|
|2013||Killing Kennedy||Jacqueline Kennedy||TV Film|
Awards and nominations
|2010||People's Choice Award||Favorite Breakout Movie Actress||Nominated|
|2011||Teen Choice Award||Choice Movie Actress: Romantic Comedy||Something Borrowed||Nominated|
|2012||Teen Choice Award||Choice TV Actress: Fantasy/Sci-FI||Once Upon a Time||Nominated|
|2013||People's Choice Award||Favorite Dramatic TV Actress||Once Upon a Time||Nominated|
- "Ginnifer Goodwin Biography - Yahoo! Movies". Movies.yahoo.com. 1978-05-22. Retrieved 2010-03-26.
- Pellettieri, Courtney (May 2010). "Meals My Mother Taught Me". InStyle (Time Inc.) 17 (5): 324–325.
- Stated by Goodwin on the Late Show with David Letterman, Wednesday, March 18, 2009
- "Jews in the Limelight". Generationj.com. Retrieved 2011-01-02.
- Love Comes to the Executioner (2006)
- Leisa Barnett (2008-06-19). "Ginnifer Goodwin wins MaxMara award (Vogue.com UK)". Vogue.co.uk. Retrieved 2010-03-26.
- "Ginnifer Goodwin For Gap Hollyscoop". Style.hollyscoop.com. 2008-04-17. Retrieved 2010-03-26.
- "2010 People's Choice Award Nominees Revealed; Neil Patrick Harris, Hugh Jackman & Green Day Honored". November 10, 2009.
- Lucas, Anthony J. (March 4, 2009). "Today's new movie announcements.".
- "Once Upon a Time's Jennifer Morrison, Ginnifer Goodwin & Co. on Their Literal "Dream" Project" from TV Line (July 25, 2011)
- Zuckerman, Blaine (December 24, 2010). "Ginnifer Goodwin Is Engaged!". People. Retrieved November 20, 2013.
- Zuckerman, Blaine (May 20, 2011). "Ginnifer Goodwin and Fiancé Break Up". People. Retrieved November 20, 2013.
- Johnson, Zach. "Ginnifer Goodwin and Josh Dallas Make Red Carpet Debut as a Couple!". UsMagazine.com. Retrieved 2012-04-16.
- Jordan, Julie (October 11, 2013). "Ginnifer Goodwin Engaged to Josh Dallas". People. Retrieved November 20, 2013.
- "Josh Dallas and Ginnifer Goodwin Expecting First Child". People. November 20, 2013. Retrieved November 20, 2013.
- Clark, Cindy (10 October 2011). "Ginnifer Goodwin's life takes a fairy-tale turn". USA Today. Retrieved 7 September 2012.
- Halterman, Jim (24 October 2011). "'Once Upon a Time' stars discuss the show's darker twist on famous fairy tales". The Christian Science Monitor. Retrieved 7 September 2012.
- "Adopt-A-Turkey Project". adoptaturkey.org. 2007-07-25. Retrieved 2010-03-26.
- Mike Larkin (2012-01-13). "Is she giving you fashion tips? Ginnifer Goodwin shows off her granny chic as she chats with older lady | Mail Online". dailymail.co.uk. Retrieved 2012-01-17.
- "Ginnifer Goodwin on Weight Watchers Since She Was Nine". Fox News. Retrieved 2013-02-08.
- Joyce Chen (2012-01-133). "'Big Love' star Ginnifer Goodwin: I've been on Weight Watchers since I was 9". NY Daily News. Retrieved 2012-12-11.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ginnifer Goodwin.|
- Ginnifer Goodwin on Twitter
- Ginnifer Goodwin at the Internet Movie Database
- Ginnifer Goodwin at AllRovi