|Full name||Gino Vos|
6 July 1990 |
|Playing darts since||2004|
|Walk-on music||Geno by Dexy's Midnight Runners|
|Organisation (see split in darts)|
|Current world ranking||66|
|BDO majors - best performances|
|World Masters||Quarter-finals: 2009|
|PDC premier events - best performances|
|World Ch'ship||Last 64: 2013|
|European Ch'ship||Last 32: 2012|
|UK Open||Last 128: 2012, 2013|
|Other tournament wins|
PDC World West European Qualifying Event
Vos first came to prominence as an 18 year old in the 2008 Czech Open, getting to the final before losing to Dave Prins 6–4. His next major success came in the 2009 World Masters as a 19 year old. He defeated such players as Ross Smith in the last 72, before knocking out the then-BDO World Champion Ted Hankey by 3 sets to 1 in the last 16. His run came to an end, however, as he was beaten 3–1 by eventual winner Martin Adams in the quarter-finals.
Vos has also played in European events on the PDC Pro Tour. His best result came in the 2011 PDC Youth Tour Event at Nuland, Netherlands on 18 June 2011 as he beat fellow countryman Michael van Gerwen 4–0 in the semi-final before losing 4–2 to Joe Cullen.
In 2012, Vos earned a place in the European Tour Event 1 in Vienna by defeating Riccardo Pigliapoco and Toon Greebe in the European qualifier. He played Wayne Jones in the first round and beat the world number 14, 6–3, but then lost 4–6 to Justin Pipe in round two. He also qualified for the third European Tour Event with a win over Jerry Hendriks, and faced Pipe again in the first round in Düsseldorf, this time winning 6–3. He then beat fellow qualifier Tomas Seyler 6–4, before losing to compatriot Raymond van Barneveld 2–6 in the last 16. Vos played Dave Chisnall in the first round of the European Championship and was beaten 3–6, but exacted his revenge a month later by beating him 6–1 in the first round of the fifth European Tour Event, the Dutch Darts Masters. A reverse of this scoreline followed in the second round, at the hands of Jamie Caven.
Vos qualified for the 2013 World Championship by finishing sixth on the European Order of Merit, taking the third of four places that were awarded to the highest non-qualified players. In his first appearance at the World Championship he faced reigning two-time champion Adrian Lewis in the first round and made a perfect start to the match as he took the first set to nil. He lost the next set and then missed two darts to lead 2–1, instead going on to lose 1–3. He was ranked world number 64 after the tournament. Vos qualified for the UK Open largely thanks to reaching the last 16 of the fourth qualifier where he lost 6–2 to Joe Cullen. He came through a preliminary round match against Alan Derrett, before being defeated 5–1 by Connie Finnan in the first round. He reached the main draw of two European Tour events during the year, losing 6–2 to Phil Taylor in the opening round of the Gibraltar Darts Trophy, and beating Richie Burnett 6–4 in the Dutch Darts Masters (having held off a fightback from the Welshman as Vos had led 5–1), before Michael Mansell defeated him 6–2 in the second round.
Vos qualified for his second successive World Championship by beating Dick van Dijk 6–3 in the final of the Western Europe Qualifier. He lost to Hong Kong's Royden Lam 4–1 in the preliminary round. However, he still finished the year 58th on the Order of Merit, inside the top 64 who retain their places for 2014.
World Championship results
- Cullen Claims Youth Double PDC.tv
- "European Qualifiers Win Austria Spots". PDC. 8 April 2012. Retrieved 9 April 2012.
- "European Tour Event One NetZone". PDC. 27 April 2012. Retrieved 27 April 2012.
- "Austrian Darts Open Day Two". PDC. 28 April 2012. Retrieved 28 April 2012.
- "European Tour 3 Qualifiers". PDC. Retrieved 24 June 2012.
- "European Darts Open Day One". PDC. Retrieved 6 July 2012.
- "2012 PDC European Tour Dusseldorf Results". Darts Database. Retrieved 9 July 2012.
- "PartyPoker.net Euro Champs - Fri". PDC. Retrieved 21 September 2012.
- "Dutch Darts Masters Day One". PDC. Retrieved 27 October 2012.
- "Dutch Darts Masters Day Two". PDC. Retrieved 29 October 2012.
- "European Order of Merit". PDC. Retrieved 4 December 2012.
- "2013 PDC World Championship Qualifiers". Darts Database. Retrieved 4 December 2012.
- "Ladbrokes WDC Day One". PDC. Retrieved 14 December 2012.
- "Order of Merit on 1 January 2013". PDC. Retrieved 9 February 2013.
- "2013 UK Open Qualifier Results". Darts Database. Retrieved 1 December 2013.
- "Speedy Services UK Open - Thursday". PDC. Retrieved 1 December 2013.
- "Dutch Masters Day One Round-Up". Professional Darts Corporation. Retrieved 1 December 2013.
- "Gino Vos 2013". Darts Database. Retrieved 1 December 2013.
- "Trio Complete International Qualifiers". PDC. Retrieved 19 November 2013.
- "Ladbrokes World Championship Day Seven". PDC. 20 December 2013.
- "Order of Merit on 2 January 2014". PDC. Retrieved 2 January 2014.
- Player profile on Gino Vos from Dartsdatabase