Gioia del Colle Air Base
|Gioia del Colle Air Base|
|Italian Eurofighter Typhoon|
|IATA: none – ICAO: LIBV|
|Location||Gioia del Colle, Italy|
|Source:World Aero Data |
Gioia del Colle Air Base (ICAO: LIBV) is an Italian Air Force (Aeronautica Militare) base located in the province of Bari, Apulia, Italy, located approximately 4 km south-southeast of Gioia del Colle.
World War II
During World War II the air base was captured by the British Eighth Army in October 1943 and used by the United States Army Air Force Twelfth Air Force and Fifteenth Air Forces. It was known as Gioia del Colle Airfield by the Americans. Known combat units operating from the airfield were:
- 1st Fighter Group, 8 December 1943-8 January 1944, P-38 Lightning
- 57th Fighter Group, 25–30 September 1943, P-40 Warhawk
- 451st Bombardment Group, 10 January-5 March 1944 B-24 Liberator
The airfield was also used by troop carrier units working with British paratroopers (8th Troop Carrier Squadron) and also by Air Technical Service Command as a maintenance and supply depot. (41st/38th Air Depot). It was turned over to the Allied Italian Co-Belligerent Air Force (Aviazione Cobelligerante Italiana, or ACI) in September 1945.
The base is an Italian military facility, presently home of the 36th Stormo, flying the Eurofighter Typhoon.
If necessary, the base can host personnel and aircraft of both the Italian Air Force, as well as other nations in NATO.
As part of the Coalition intervention in Libya, caused by the 2011 Libyan civil war and enforcement of United Nations Security Council Resolution 1973, it has become the forward operating base for units of the Royal Air Force, operating both Panavia Tornado and Eurofighter Typhoon.
- Maurer, Maurer. Air Force Combat Units of World War II. Maxwell AFB, Alabama: Office of Air Force History, 1983. ISBN 0-89201-092-4.
- Maurer, Maurer, ed. (1982) . Combat Squadrons of the Air Force, World War II (reprint ed.). Washington, DC: Office of Air Force History. ISBN 0-405-12194-6. LCCN 70605402. OCLC 72556.
- USAFHRA document search Gioia del Colle Airfield
- "Libya: RAF 'comfortable' with outcome of airstrikes". BBC News. 20 March 2011. Retrieved 2011-03-20.
- Airport information for LIBV at Great Circle Mapper.
- Airport information for LIBV at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.