|Province of Turkey|
Location of Giresun Province in Turkey
|• Total||6,934 km2 (2,677 sq mi)|
|• Density||60/km2 (160/sq mi)|
Giresun Province (Turkish: Giresun ili) is a province of Turkey on the Black Sea coast. Its adjacent provinces are Trabzon to the east, Gümüşhane to the south-east, Erzincan to the south, Sivas to the south-west, and Ordu to the west. The provincial capital is Giresun.
Giresun is an agricultural region of great natural beauty, especially in the highlands. The lower areas near the Black Sea coast are Turkey's largest producer of hazelnuts; a Giresun folk song tells "I will not eat a single hazelnut, unless you are by my side", while another tells of a lover shot dead under a hazelnut tree  The higher mountain areas are forest and pasture and in places there is mining of copper, zinc, iron and other metals. The mountain villages are remote, with poor roads and little else in the way of infrastructure. And the hillsides are too steep for agriculture also, so for example cornbread is the traditional meal, as they cannot grow wheat.
Giresun province is divided into 16 districts (capital district in bold):
Due to the dense in Giresun, woodwork is among the common handcrafts in the region. Some small wooden handcrafts peculiar to the city are churns, külek (a storing pot for cheese), and spoons. One of the oldest handcrafts in the city is weaving. Wool, linen threads and similar raw marerials are spun in hand looms to produce various local clothes, heybe (shoulder bags) and bags. Strong threads and knitted threads are also produced in hand looms.
Some of the dishes peculiar to the city are corn soup (Mısır çorbası), cabbage soup (lahana çorbası), cabbge leaves stuffed with a meat fillig (Etli lahana sarması), black cabbage dish (karalahana yemeği or pancar yemeği), pilaf with anchovy (hamsili pilav), piaf with cabbage (dible), kaygana, kuymak (made of cheese, cornmeal and butter)
Places of interest
- Kümbet, Karagöl and Bektaş - areas of attractive mountain pasture in the district of Dereli, where people can enjoy walks and picnics. Annual folklore festivals are held here in summer.
- Topal Osman - (1883, Giresun - 2 Nisan 1923, Ankara), soldier and commander in the Turkish War of Independence
- Mustafa Suphi - (1883, Giresun - 1921) founder of the Communist Party of Turkey
- Hasan Âli Yücel (1897, İstanbul – 1961) poet, thinker and politician, former minister of education, born to a Görele family.
- İdris Küçükömer (1925, Giresun - 1987) economist and thinker
- Rahşan Ecevit (1923, Bursa - ) wife of former Turkish Prime Minister, Bülent Ecevit, born to a Şebinkarahisar family
- Naim Tirali (1925, Giresun - ), journalist and politician
- Hayrettin Erkmen (b Tirebolu - ) former foreign minister,
- Harun Karadeniz (1942, Alucra-1975) writer and student activist leader of the 1968 generation
Writers and artists
- Ergin Günçe (1938, Giresun - 1983) poet
- Fethi Naci (1927, Giresun - ) writer and critic
- Aziz Nesin - (1915, Şebinkarahisar - 1995), writer and journalist
- Bedri Rahmi Eyüboğlu (1913, Görele - 1975, Istanbul), painter and poet
- Ahmet Yalçınkaya (b 1963, Giresun ) poet,
- Hamit Görele (1903, Görele - 1980, Istanbul), painter
- Fatih Kırtorun (1985, Görele - ), writer and poet
- Yaman Okay (b 1951, Giresun -), actor and film director
- İlyas İlbey actor, husband of Yasemin Yalçın
- İlker Yasin Kanal Ds football commentator
- Hulki Cevizoğlu (b 1958, Giresun - ), journalist, TV presenter and producer, specialises in political debate
- Kadir Çelik (b Görele )TV producer and presenter,
- Şafak Karaman (b 1967, Trabzon - ) minor celebrity and TV presenter, born to a Tirebolu family
- Öztürk Serengil well-known film actor, father of Seren Serengil, grew up in Giresun
- Salih Memecan (1952, Giresun - ), cartoonist of Sabah (newspaper).
Giresun province shares the folk music of the Black Sea region and is the birthplace of:
- Picoğlu Osman (b. 1901, Görele - d. 1946 Amasra) folk musician, considered to be one of the best kemençe players.
- Katip Şadi (b 1932, Görele -) folk musician, kemençe player.
Other musicians include:
- Teoman (1967, Alucra - ), rock singer
- Ozan Arif (1949, Alucra - ), poet, lyricist, balladeer of the extreme right MHP.
- Bahadır Aydoğan Arabesk style singer
- Mustafa Küçük folk-arabesk musician
- Gökhan Semiz(1968, Istanbul- 1998 İstanbul) member of the pop music group Group Vitamin, family from Giresun
- Şenes Erzik (1942, Giresun -) Businessman and vice president of UEFA
- Footballers Tolga Seyhan (b 1977 -) and Gökdeniz Karadeniz (b 1980 Giresun, currently with Rubin Kazan)
- Hasan Gemici - 1952 Olympic gold medalist in freestyle wrestling
Giresunspor are a 2nd(Bank Asya 1.Lig)league football team.
Giresun in popular culture
- The TV series Uy Başuma Gelenler was filmed in the village of Düzköy, its the story of a young man from Istanbul who inherits a hazelnut grove in Giresun (a Turkish twist on Monarch of the Glen.
- The folk song Giresun üstünde vapur bağrıyor (Eşref Bey Ağıtı) meanwhile has been recorded by a number of artists including Ismail Hakkı Demircioğlu, and tells of a wounded soldier dying in Giresun
- Giresun'un içinde has been sung by Musa Eroğlu, Selda Bağcan and Fuat Saka, who also sang Lazutlar which means corn in the local dialect and is a kind of Cider with Rosie rural idyll in verse.
- Ahmet Kaya sang Mican a ballad about a local bandit in the mountains.
- Turkish Statistical Institute, MS Excel document – Population of province/district centers and towns/villages and population growth rate by provinces
- bir fındığın içini yar senden ayrı yemem
- Giresun'un içinde yeşil fındık tarlası vurdular feride'mi yere düştü bohçası
- Giresun cuisine - Karadeniz mutfağı
- (English) All about Giresun and its hinterland
- (Turkish) 
- (English) giresun kültür
- (Turkish) local news
- (French) local information website
- (Turkish) 
- (Turkish) Giresun