Girijananda Chowdhury Institute of Management and Technology
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2012)|
|Girijananda Chowdhury Institute of Management and Technology (GIMT)|
|Motto||Truth, Discipline & Excellence|
|Principal||Prof.(Dr.)Susanta Kumar Dutta|
|Director||Prof. G.C. Kakoti|
|Academic staff||100 (approximately)|
|Location||Guwahati, Assam, India|
|Campus||Suburban, 5 acres|
|Acronym||GIMT or GCIMT|
Girijananda Chowdhury Institute of Management and Technology (Assamese: গিৰিজানন্দ চৌধুৰী ব্যৱস্থাপনা আৰু প্ৰযুক্তি প্ৰতিষ্ঠান)(GIMT or sometimes GCIMT) is an institute offering degree level technical courses in the State of Assam in the non-government sector established by Shrimanta Shankar Academy (SSA) Society. The college was established with permission from the state government and approval from the All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE), New Delhi and is affiliated to Gauhati University.
According to SSA Society,
|“||Observing the huge gap in need and facilities available in the remote north eastern part of the country, "Girijananda Chowdhury Institute of Management and Technology (GIMT)" was established in the year 2006 with a vision to produce competent, disciplined and quality engineers and administrators having the drive, skill and confidence to become the pioneers of tomorrow.||”|
- 1 Affiliation
- 2 Campus and geography
- 3 Academic programs
- 4 Departments and cells
- 5 Extracurricular
- 6 Some persons and faculties of GIMT
- 7 Sister institutes
- 8 References
- 9 External links
It is affiliated to Gauhati University, situated in Jalukbari and Assam Science and Technology University, Guwahati, Assam. All the undergraduate Bachelor of Engineering courses as well as Master of Business Administration and Master of Computer Application programmes are recognized by the AICTE.
Campus and geography
GIMT is located at Hathkhowapara or Noapara, Azara, Guwahati on the National Highway No.37 five km to the east of Lokpriya Gopinath Bordoloi International Airport and 16 km to the west of Guwahati Railway Station.
The Institute has a Girls' Hostel inside its premises. Although there are limited hostel facilities available for girls and boys near the college campus, but the outsider students stay in private hostels and rent houses of places such as Lankeshwar, Hathkhowapara, Godhuli Bazar, Dharapur, [Lankeshwar], Adabari Tiniali.
GIMT offers four years Bachelor of Engineering course in six areas that include Computer Science and Engineering (60 seats), Information Technology (60 seats), Electrical Engineering (60 seats), Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering (90 seats), Mechanical Engineering (90 seats) and Applied Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering (60 seats). The admission to the program is done through Common Entrance Exam (CEE) and All India Engineering Entrance Examination (AIEEE) organised by Assam Higher Secondary Education Council (AHSEC) and Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) respectively.
GIMT offers postgraduate programs in Master of Engineering in Computer Science & Engineering (2 Years)(18 Seats), Master of Business Administration (2 years) (60 seats) with dual specializations in areas of Finance, Marketing, HR and Production and Master of Computer Application (3 years)(60 seats). The admission to these programs is done through the entrance examination conducted by Assam Science and Technology University and other equivalent National level entrance examinations.
Departments and cells
- Training and Placement Cell: GIMT has its own training and placement cell with Mr. Sourabh Mazinder Baruah as the Training and Placement Officer. Many companies have held campus interviews.
- Entrepreneurship Development Cell: This cell organizes entrepreneurship awareness programs for students (EAPS) in the institute campus.
Every year the students and administration of GIMT organize a festival cum competition called Euphuism, usually in the last week of January. Sports and cultural events are held during the festival.
The featured cultural events of the festival includes the "DJ Nite" and the "Prime Nite" where artists and bands perform to huge audiences. The other events include:
- Archytas - the tech war
- Cryptex - the Babbage's follower
- Cyber Mania - the cyber battleground
- Circuitronics - to design a circuit according to a problem statement
- Click - frame the world, the photography competition
- Photokraft - Photoshop competition
- Mobile Camera Phone Photography Contest (only for GIMTians)
- Quizzard - the generic quiz
- Clash - the knock down debating competition
- Incense - floral designing
- Splash in - design your fabric
- Glitters - Mr. & Miss GIMT personality contest
GIMT launched a youth awareness campaign during the annual fest EUPHUISM 2010, called Yuva - Redefining Dreams, with the tagline "All we need is Youth and a Dream..." Latest event being held: GIMT Euphuism'14. 
GIMT published the first edition of its wall magazine Uttaran in mid-2009. The first edition was bilingual in Assamese and English. From the second edition it was published separately in Assamese and English.
Some persons and faculties of GIMT
- Bijoyananda Chowdhury - Secretary, SSA,
- Prof. G.C. Kakoti, Ph.D., Executive Director, Professor and HoD, Electrical Engineering Department,
- Mr. M. Bhandari, Former Dean (Administration),
- Prof. H.K. Das, Ph.D. (Manchester, UK), former Principal, now Director (Academic and Student Welfare),
- Prof. T.K. Bhattacharjee, former Principal of GIMT, Ph.D. (IIT Kharagpur) Present principal GIMT, Tezpur campus,
- Prof. S.K. Dutta, Principal of GIMT, Guwahati campus,
- Prof. Abhijit Nath, Professor and HoD, Electronics & Telecommunication Engineering Department,
- Prof. P.K. Brahma, Professor and Former HoD, Computer Science & Engineering Department and Information Technology Department,
- Prof. P.K. Bordaloi, Ph.D. (Manchester, UK), Professor and HoD, Applied Electronics & Instrumentation Department,
- Prof. P.K. Goswami, Ph.D. NTS, Professor and HoD, Electrical Engineering Department,
- Prof. Pratul Chandra Baruah, Dean Academic (GIMT),
- Prof. U.N. Misra, Ph.D., Professor and HoD, Mathematics Department,
- Prof. P.K. Dutta, Ph.D., Professor and HoD, Mechanical Engineering Department(GIMT),
- Prof. B.C. Bhuyan, Ph.D. (Kurukshetra University), Professor and HoD, Chemistry Department,
- Prof. M. R. Sinha, Professor and HoD, MCA Department.
Some other faculty are:
- Dr. B.D. Phukan (guest faculty for Electrical Engineering),
- Prof. U. Miri (guest faculty for Civil Engineering),
- Prof. D.K. Barua (guest faculty for Economics),
- Mr. D.C. Das (Assistant Superintendent, Mechanical Workshop).
- Shrimanta Shankar Academy, Panbazar - affiliated to Assam Higher Secondary Education Council (AHSEC)
- Shrimanta Shankar Academy, Dispur - affiliated to Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE)
- Girijananda Chowdhury Institute of Pharmaceutical Science (GIPS) - the first self-financing private Pharmacy Institute in north eastern region offering Bachelor of Pharmacy
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Girijananda Chowdhury Institute of Management and Technology.|