Girl Walks into a Bar
|Girl Walks into a Bar|
|Directed by||Sebastián Gutiérrez|
|Produced by||Steve Bing
|Written by||Sebastián Gutiérrez|
|Music by||Grant Lee Phillips|
|Edited by||Lisa Bromwell|
Wrekin Hill Entertainment (DVD)
|Running time||80 minutes|
|Budget||1 million USD|
Girl Walks into a Bar is a 2011 multiple story line ensemble comedy film produced exclusively for Internet distribution. It is directed by Sebastián Gutiérrez from his own script, much like the anthology style of Gutiérrez's Women in Trouble, and follows a group of apparent strangers in interlocking stories taking place in ten different bars during the course of one evening throughout Los Angeles.
Girl Walks into a Bar premiered at The ArcLight Hollywood Cinemas on March 7, 2011, in Los Angeles and screened as an official selection of the Spotlight Premieres section at the South by Southwest Film Conference and Festival 2011 in Austin. The film is currently available in the United States to watch for free exclusively on YouTube with sponsorship from Lexus.
An undercover ex-cop named Francine Driver (Carla Gugino), who poses as an assassin, meets a dentist – Nick (Zachary Quinto) – in a Los Angeles bar. Nick wants his wife Karen (Lauren Lee Smith) dead. He does not have the upfront payment of $20,000, but he promises he can get it for her before the night is over. When he leaves, Francine meets a young man named Henry (Aaron Tveit), a photographer who charms her before stealing her wallet and running off into the night. Her wallet contains the device used to record her conversation with Nick, and the evidence is incriminating.
This begins Francine's frantic search through the bars and clubs of Los Angeles. As she journeys, a number of characters are introduced. There is Henry's sister, Teresa (Emmanuelle Chriqui), an exotic dancer. There is Teresa and Henry's father, Dodge (Robert Forster), an ex-con who gives his son the most baffling of advice and has a strange fixation on bones. There is Nick's patient, Aldo (Danny DeVito), a gangster who can get Nick his money ... but only by roping him into participating in a heist. There is a bartender named Camilla (Amber Valletta), who is having relationship problems with her divorced upstairs neighbor. There is June (Rosario Dawson), a hatcheck girl for an exclusive nude ping pong club. There is Francine's superior, Sam Salazar (Josh Hartnett), who is always addressed as Officer but is actually a detective. Then there is Francine's ex-husband, Emmit (Gil Bellows), who has something Francine wants.
- Carla Gugino as Francine Driver
- Emmanuelle Chriqui as Teresa
- Josh Hartnett as Sam Salazar
- Danny DeVito as Aldo
- Rosario Dawson as June
- Zachary Quinto as Nick
- Robert Forster as Dodge
- Aaron Tveit as Henry
- Amber Valletta as Camilla
- Gil Bellows as Emmit
- Kevin Zegers as Billy
- Alexis Bledel as Kim
- Michelle Ryan as Loretta
- Xander Berkeley as Moe
- Lauren Lee Smith as Karen
Girl Walks into a Bar is produced by Gutiérrez's Gato Negro Films and co-produced by Steve Bing's and Zach Schwartz's Shangri-La Entertainment. Principal photography took place in Los Angeles in March 2010. The film was shot in eleven days with a Canon 7D high-definition camera. Inspired by a scene from Gutiérrez's Elektra Luxx, it is a kind of Robert Altman-esque Short Cuts. Sebastián Gutiérrez claimed at the South by Southwest Film Festival premiere of Elektra Luxx that Girl Walks Into a Bar is the first major motion picture with a cast of notable stars created exclusively for Web distribution. Quoted in an official press release, Gutiérrez revealed "We want to prove that Web distribution is a viable medium for theatrical quality movies which rely on story, characters and dialogue as opposed to special effects. For many reasons the theatrical indie landscape has changed drastically in the last few years, leaving many potential breakout hits without an audience. We are excited to break the rules of feature films by letting people watch our movie for free online." Locomotive Distribution is handling worldwide sales.
Shangri-La Entertainment has entered into an agreement with YouTube and Lexus to present Girl Walks into a Bar free, exclusively in the YouTube Screening Room, a platform designed to showcase top films from around the world, premiering March 11, 2011, at http://www.youtube.com/screeningroom and viewable only by visitors from the United States. The presentation marks the first time a major motion picture was created exclusively for Web distribution. "With Girl Walks into a Bar, the cast and crew came together to create something different – a high quality, really fun character-driven film that we could present to audiences for free using a new distribution model," said Gutierrez. "We found great partners in Lexus and YouTube to support the film while providing us with the stage to draw the largest audience possible."
Although it was intended for worldwide distribution, the film has been blocked from the United Kingdom, Canada and the rest of the world on copyright grounds. Girl Walks into a Bar is currently only available in the United States to watch for free exclusively on YouTube.
Girl Walks into a Bar marks Lexus' first entry into film presentation.
Girl Walks into a Bar was released on DVD on 14 Aug 2012.
- "Exclusive: Carla Gugino on Every Day". Coming Soon (Silas Lesnick). January 14, 2011. Retrieved 2011-01-14.
- "Will Girl Walks Into a Bar Lead Indie Films to the Web?". Gigaom (Liz Shannon Miller). March 12, 2011. Retrieved 2011-03-12.
- "Premiere Of Shangri-La Entertainment's "Girl Walks Into A Bar" – Red Carpet". Zimbio (Kevin Winter). March 8, 2011. Retrieved 2011-03-08.
- "SXSW Film Festival Announces 2011 Features Lineup". Film Blogging the reel world (Peter Sciretta). February 2, 2011. Retrieved 2011-02-02.
- "Carla Gugino goes straight to the Web in Girl Walks Into a Bar". Joblo (Dave Davis). September 25, 2010. Retrieved 2010-10-15.
- "Alexis Bledel Completes "Girl Walks Into a Bar"". Gilmore News (Arieanna). September 25, 2010. Retrieved 2010-10-15.
- "Girl Walks Into a Bar Trailer Online". FilmoFilia (Nikola Mraovic). February 18, 2011. Retrieved 2011-02-18.
- "FNB Innovator: Sebastian Gutierrez". Film News Briefs (FNB Innovator). April 7, 2010. Retrieved 2010-07-10.
- "The indefatigable "Elektra Luxx."". IFC (Stephen Saito). March 15, 2010. Retrieved 2010-07-10.
- "Shangri-La Entertainment Announces a Gato Negro Film, 'Girl Walks Into a Bar'". PR Newswire (Sallie Olmsted/Jason Magner). September 22, 2010. Retrieved 2010-10-15.
- "Locomotive Distribution is pleased to announce the film, GIRL WALKS INTO A BAR". Locomotive Distribution Official Facebook (Locomotive Entertainment Group). February 25, 2011. Retrieved 2011-03-31.
- ""Girl Walks Into a Bar" and Gets Free YouTube Distribution". Brave New Hollywood (Ben Scuglia). March 10, 2011. Retrieved 2011-03-10.
- Girl Walks into a Bar at the Internet Movie Database
- Girl Walks Into a Bar at Rotten Tomatoes
- Girl Walks Into a Bar at YouTube
- Girl Walks into a Bar on Facebook
- Girl Walks into a Bar on Twitter
- International Sales (Locomotive Distribution)
- Official Trailer