The original line-up consisting of Nichole, Natalie, Tiffanie and Chrystina
|Origin||Los Angeles, California, U.S.|
|Associated acts||Robin Antin|
Girlicious is a former American girl group originally formed by Robin Antin, creator of the Pussycat Dolls, from The CW reality TV show Pussycat Dolls Present: Girlicious. The group was originally signed to Geffen Records and composed of members Nichole Cordova, Tiffanie Anderson, Chrystina Sayers and Natalie Mejia. Their self-titled debut album was released in Canada in August 2008 and reached number two on the Canadian Albums Chart. After Anderson left the group in June 2009, Girlicious signed with Universal Music Canada and released their second studio album, Rebuilt, in November 2010. Mejia and Sayers departed the group in February 2011. Nichole Cordova later announced the end of Girlicious, and her joining a new girl group called Girls United.
2007–13: Formation and Girlicious
Before the airing of the series premiere of the show, Pussycat Dolls Present: Girlicious, the girls were already chosen for "Girlicious" and had started recording their debut album in late 2007. Originally the group was to be a trio, but was conceived as a quartet through a final decision of creator Robin Antin on the show's season finale. Thus far, they have received greater attention and major success from Canadian audiences, receiving platinum certification in Canada for their self-titled debut album Girlicious. The album peaked at number two on the Canadian Albums Chart. The group was nominated at the Teen Choice Awards for "Breakout Group" of the year, and Pussycat Dolls Present: Girlicious was nominated for "Reality: Music Competition" in 2008.
It was confirmed on June 11, 2009, via a YouTube video upload from Tiffanie Anderson’s official YouTube channel, that she was no longer a member of Girlicious. In the video, Anderson cites changes with their new record label and sound, stating: "Robin Antin and the label were looking for a new direction for the group" ... "they were looking for the group to not be [urban] any longer". She also speaks of personal differences between some of the girls, saying the group was not seeing eye-to-eye on a lot of things: "a couple of the girls and I didn't have the same values or the same morals – causing a huge conflict in the end of it all." On Sunday, June 21, 2009 Girlicious appeared live at the 2009 MuchMusic Video Awards in Toronto, Canada as nominees and presenters. The group won the award for "Most Watched Video" for "Like Me". Their video for "Stupid Shit" came in at second place.
In 2009, the group went into the studio to start recording music for their second studio album. In December 2009 the group announced they had moved from Geffen Records and that they had signed a record deal with Universal Music Canada. The sound for the album will go in a more "Pop" direction, and further away from the Hip-Hop/R&B sound featured on their first album. The group's first single titled "Over You", was sent to Canadian radio stations on December 25, 2009. The song was released to Canadian iTunes on January 5, 2010. The song peaked at number 57 on The Hits Charts (Airplay): Top 100 Singles and number 52 on Canadian Hot 100. The group's second single titled "Maniac" was released to Canadian iTunes on April 6, 2010. The music video was shot on April 6 in LA at an abandoned hospital. It peaked as number 72 on the Canadian Hot 100 chart. The girls were featured on the Jersey Shore Soundtrack, with a song titled "Drank". It was then released on July 20, 2010 to digital retailers in Canada and the United States as a promotional single for Rebuilt. The promotional single featured guest rapper Spose. On August 31, 2010 the girls released their third single titled "2 In the Morning". It made a Hot Shot Debut on the Canada Hot 100 reaching number 57. The song then moved up five places to number 52 in the week of September 16. Then, on the week of November 13, 2010, the song reached its peak at number 35. On September 26 they taped a performance of "Maniac" for Playboy's Beach House, which aired in January 2011. Their second album, Rebuilt, was released on November 22 in Canada reaching number five on the pop album chart.
On February 26, 2011, the group confirmed the exit of Sayers and Mejia via their Facebook and Twitter accounts. It was stated that Cordova was still part of the group and very much ready to get on with the future of Girlicious. After the departure of the girls, "Hate Love" was released as the fourth single from Rebuilt. The song debuted on the Canadian Hot 100 at number 97 in the week of April 2, 2011. In the week of April 30, 2011, the song reached its peak at number 59 while also reaching number 19 on the Canadian Top 40. On June 17, 2011, Cordova performed alongside Carmen Electra on the Pussycat Dolls Burlesque Revue Tour. In October 2011, Cordova announced and confirmed the band's hiatus and also hinted about new members. In May 2012, the group's profile page on Universal Music Canada's website had been removed, consequently implying they had been dropped by their label. However, the group's profile page on the Universal Music website is still up,[when?] meaning they are still signed to Universal, but no longer in Canada.
Nichole Marie Cordova (born August 17, 1988) is from Houston, Texas, where she has been singing since the age of four. She was offered a chance to start recording her very first demo at the age of 14. In 2007, Nichole recorded over 50 songs in the hopes of releasing her own album. Aside from singing, she is also a trained ballet dancer and teacher for over ten years. Cordova cites Jill Scott, Beyoncé and Christina Aguilera as musical influences.
Nichole Cordova performed her first solo performance with the En Vogue's version of "Something He Can Feel" on the season finale of Pussycat Dolls Present: Girlicious where she became the first member of Girlicious, She received high praise from the judges for her performance of "Something He Can Feel" with them describing it as "unexpected" and solid. Cordova landed the lead female role in the horror film Bleed Out as Taylor. On June 17, 2011, Cordova performed alongside Carmen Electra on the Pussycat Dolls Burlesque Revue Tour.
Tiffanie Adair Anderson (born August 15, 1988) is from Los Angeles, California is a singer and dancer. During her time on the reality show, she and Cordova were the only two contestants to have never made it into the bottom two. During the finale, Robin Antin called out Anderson to become a group member of Girlicious, along with Nichole Cordova, Natalie Mejia, and Chrystina Sayers. On June 11, 2009, via a YouTube video, Anderson revealed that she was no longer a member of Girlicious. In the video, Anderson cited changes with their new record label and sound.
Chrystina Lauren Sakamoto Sayers (born August 14, 1987), also known professionally as Chrysie Sayers, is from San Diego, California, where she grew up as a tomboy and struggled to be accepted by her classmates. She is of African American, Irish, Native American, and Japanese descent. After winning her spot in the group she joined other members Tiffanie Anderson, Natalie Mejia and Nichole Cordova to form Girlicious. After recording two albums with the group she announced her departure in early February 2011. She is close friends with former member Natalie Mejia. On January 29, 2012 it was revealed that Sayers was set to join the new fourth line-up of the Pussycat Dolls. However, on April 13, 2012 it was announced that Sayers was no longer a part of the new line-up. As of 2012, she is working on new material for her album and has since released her debut solo single, "Alive", on September 28, 2012. On June 1, 2012, Sayers premiered her debut solo single, "Alive", on Ustream. In September 2012, Sayers revealed to VIBE Vixen her reasons for quitting Girlicious and dropping out of the Pussycat Dolls. In the interview she stated that she felt Girlicious "was over when Natalie had her cocaine charge. I really thought she was going to go to jail. I honestly didn’t want to be affiliated with someone like that. Then everything started to get better when we were working on our second album but then one of the girl’s behavior started to get erratic. I had to question if this was going to continue because it was getting out of control." On leaving the new Pussycat Dolls line-up she said; "To be honest I was actually working on my solo project before that but Robin pretty much figured out everybody that she wanted. She really thought I would be a great asset to the group, so I kind of rolled with it for a while. After we did the Go Daddy commercial for the Super Bowl she (Antin) told me I didn’t have a choice and I couldn’t leave. I had to be in The Pussycat Dolls. She really wanted me in and I didn’t want to let her down." "I felt like I already went down the path of the girl group thing. I’m very focused and I know what I want to do and being a part of a girl group is definitely not what I want anymore. So I ended up not doing it and I walked away."
Natalie Nicole Mejia (born May 7, 1988) is from Diamond Bar, California. Mejia is of Mexican and Cuban descent. Her musical idols are Janet Jackson and Jennifer Lopez. She attended Diamond Ranch High School and was a graduate for the Class of 2006. She studied dancing from the age of nine at the Millennium Dance Complex. She won her position in the group in the season finale along with Tiffanie Anderson, Chrystina Sayers and Nichole Cordova. Before Girlicious, she was a member of two musical groups - Cherri, of which she was a member from 2001 until 2003 and then Breathe, which formed in 2005 and disbanded in 2007. Breathe was an opening act for Sean Paul. After two albums with the group she announced her departure along with Sayers in February 2011. After leaving the band, she was due to join a new group but the project fell through as Randy Jackson decided to focus on American Idol and Mariah Carey's new album. She is currently pursuing a solo career and plans on releasing new songs on iTunes. As of July 2012, Natalie had been confirmed as one of the five new Pussycat Dolls. It is thought she was drafted in as a replacement for Chrystina. However, in November 2012 it was revealed that Mejia was no longer a part of the group and was instead replaced by Emmalyn Estrada. On 1 December 2012, Mejia revealed that she was expecting her first child, and due to her situation she made a choice not to continue as apart of the Pussycat Dolls. On May 11, 2013, Mejia gave birth to a daughter, Calista Estrella.
2008–09: The Girlicious Tour
- As opening act
2008: The Unbreakable Tour: Backstreet Boys (Opening act for Leg 1.)
2009: The Circus Starring Britney Spears: Britney Spears (Opening act for May 5, August 20 and 21 shows.)
|Most Watched Music Video on MuchMusic.com for 'Like Me'||Won|
- "Girlicious – Teen Choice Awards 2008 Nominations". Geffen. 2008-06-17. Retrieved 2010-01-12.
- Dekel, Jonathan (2010-05-03). "Girlicious inherit the Pussycat Dolls' pop crown". MSN Entertainment. Microsoft. Retrieved 2010-08-08.
- "Girlicious – Over You – Release". iTunes. Retrieved 2010-03-18.
- "Girlicious – Over You – Music Charts". αCharts.us. Retrieved 2010-03-12.
- "Girlicious – Maniac – Release". iTunes. Retrieved 2010-04-15.
- "Girlicious Maniac Video Location". Mental Floss. Retrieved 2010-04-15.
- "2 In the Morning – Single". iTunes. Apple Inc. Retrieved 2010-08-31.
- "Girlicious Album & Song Chart History". Billboard.com. Retrieved 2012-03-29.
- "Girlicious performance at Playboy Beach House". Retrieved 18 April 2012.
- "Nichole Cordova on ustream 23/10/11". Retrieved 19 April 2012.
- "Nichole Cordova". Retrieved 19 April 2012.
- "Pussycat Dolls Present Girlicious: Season Finale "You Are Girlicious" Recap". Buddy TV. Retrieved 4 June 2014.
- "Nichole Cordova Bio". Retrieved 19 April 2012.
- "Bleed Out (2011)". Internet Movie Database. Retrieved 4 June 2014.
- "June 17 PCD Burlesque Richmond BC". Retrieved 19 April 2012.
- "Tiffanie Anderson Biography". Retrieved 19 April 2012.
- "Tiffanie Anderson Bio". Retrieved 19 April 2012.
- "Tiffanie Clears Girlicious Rumors". Retrieved 20 May 2012.
- "Chrystina Sayers". Retrieved 19 April 2012.
- "Meet the New Pussycat Dolls!". Retrieved 19 April 2012.
- "Chrystina Sayers Formerly of Pop Group "Girlicious" Embarks on Solo Career With Genius Music". 13 April 2012. Retrieved 15 April 2012.
- "Chrystina Sayers talks about her upcoming single". Retrieved 19 April 2012.
- "Chrystina Sayers Formerly of Pop Group "Girlicious" Embarks on Solo Career With Genius Music". Retrieved 20 May 2012.
- "Alive Worldwide Preview". Retrieved 1 June 2012.
- "Chrystina Sayers Breaks Silence On Departure From The PussyCat Dolls & Girlicious!". Retrieved 1 October 2012.
- "Alive - Single - By Chrysie Sayers". iTunes. Retrieved 2012-10-01.
- "Alive release date". Retrieved 14 September 2012.
- "Natalie Mejia Bio". Retrieved 19 April 2012.
- "Natalie Mejia Biography". BuddyTV. 2008-06-22. Retrieved 2014-03-07.
- "Natalie Mejia". Retrieved 19 April 2012.
- "Natalie Mejia April 2012 Update". Retrieved 20 May 2012.
- "New music soon". Retrieved 20 May 2012.
- "New Pussycat Dolls Lineup With Natalie Out & Emmalyn In". Retrieved 29 November 2012.
- "I was married in June and was asked to keep it private, I found out about my little girl in September and was asked to make a choice". Retrieved 2 December 2012.
- Mejia, Natalie. "Calista Estrella, Born May 11, 2013 In May 2014 Mejia announced a new girl group with her sisters, Jazzy and Taylor called The Mejia Sisters. Their single 'Stray' was released on Itunes on August 18th 2014. The group are currently working on an album.". Twitter. nataliemejia. Retrieved 16 May 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Girlicious.|
- Official website
- Girlicious on Myspace
- Girlicious at the Internet Movie Database
- Girlicious at Last.fm