Giulio Maria Pasinetti
||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2014)|
Giulio Maria Pasinetti is a U.S.-based scientist whose principal focus is the prevention of Alzheimer's disease and other neurodegenerative disorders, even before the disease becomes symptomatic. He is currently focusing on drug discovery and screening, within the lens of primary prevention and promoting cognitive function. He has received approximately 30 grants supporting this work and has published over 200 research articles in peer-reviewed journals. His findings on the role of lifestyle factors and metabolic co-morbidities, including diabetes, in the onset and progression of clinical dementia, neurodegeneration and Alzheimer's disease have made him a noteworthy expert in his field. Additionally, he has been the recipient of several awards, including the Alzheimer's Association's Zenith and Temple Awards and the Queen Sofia Foundation of Spain Research Center Award on Alzheimer's Disease.
Pasinetti is a Professor of Neurology, Psychiatry, Neuroscience, and Geriatrics and Adult Development, and is Director of the Brain Institute Center of Excellence for Novel Approaches to Neurotherapeutics at Mount Sinai School of Medicine in New York City. He also serves as Director of the Basic and Biomedical Research and Training, Geriatric Education and Clinical Center at the Bronx Veterans Affairs Medical Center. In addition, he owns patents for several Alzheimer's disease therapeutic agents.
Pasinetti received an M.D. from the Milan University School of Medicine and a Ph.D. from the University of Milan in 1982 and 1988, respectively. He has been a member of the Mount Sinai School of Medicine's faculty since 1996, where he currently serves as director and principal investigator of the NIH-funded Center of Excellence for Research in Complementary and Alternative Medicine in Alzheimer's disease. The ground-breaking studies conducted in this center of excellence include exploring for the first time in this country the potential beneficial role of natural grape-derived polyphenolic compounds implicated in mechanisms associated with the prevention of Alzheimer's disease (AD) neuropathology, a disease for which there is currently no cure. Most recently, Pasinetti received The Charles Dana Alliance for Brain Research Award from the Dana Foundation, which recognizes productivity and worldwide leadership in his field of expertise, as well as The Faculty Council Award for academic excellence at Mount Sinai School of Medicine. Additionally, the Alzheimer's Association has recognized his contributions to the field with the prestigious Zenith and Temple awards.
The overarching goal of Pasinetti's research is to improve the diagnosis and treatment of patients who are in the early stages of AD by investigating the biological processes that occur during aging when subjects with normal cognitive function transition into the very earliest stages of AD and then to frank dementia. Additionally, by identifying early neurobiological abnormalities, Pasinetti seeks to aid in the development of effective therapeutic treatments that slow or halt disease progression.
Affiliations and positions
||This section of a biography of a living person does not include any references or sources. (January 2014)|
- Saunders Family Chair in Neurology, Mount Sinai School of Medicine
- Director, Brain Institute Center of Excellence for Novel Approaches to Neurotherapeutics, Mount Sinai School of Medicine
- Director, Basic and Biomedical Research and Training, Geriatric Research, Education and Clinical Center, Bronx Veterans Affairs Medical Center
- Director, Translational Neuroscience Laboratories, Bronx Veterans Affairs Medical Center
- Editor-in-Chief, Current Translational Geriatrics & Experimental Gerontology Reports
- Editor-in-Chief, Journal of Trauma and Treatment
- Editorial Board, American Journal of Molecular Biology
- Editorial Board, Neurobiology of Aging
- Member, National Scientific Advisory Council of the American Federation for Aging Research
- Member, American Society for Nutrition
Awards and honors
||This section of a biography of a living person does not include any references or sources. (January 2014)|
- Endowed Professor, Mount Sinai School of Medicine
- Foundation Queen Sofia of Spain Research Center award on Alzheimer's Disease
- Faculty Council Award for Academic Excellence, Mount Sinai School of Medicine
- Charles Dana Alliance for Brain Initiatives Award from the Dana Foundation
- Zenith Award from the Alzheimer's Association
- Temple Foundation Discovery Award from the Alzheimer's Association
- Nathan W. & Margaret T. Shock Aging Research Foundation Award from the Gerontological Society of America
- Turken Family fellowship from the Alzheimer's Association, Los Angeles Chapter
- Nathan Shock New Investigator Award of the Gerontological Society of America
- Wang, Jun; Varghese, Merina; Ono, Kenjiro; Yamada, Masahito; Levine, Samara; Tzavaras, Nikos; Gong, Bing; Hurst, William; Blitzer, Robert; Pasinetti, Giulio (June 23, 2014). "Cocoa Extracts Reduce Oligomerization of Amyloid-β: Implications for Cognitive Improvement in Alzheimer's Disease". Journal of Alzheimer's Disease 41 (2): 643–650. doi:10.3233/JAD-132231. PMID 24957018.
- Wang, Jun; Land, David; Ono, Kenjiro; Galvez, Jorge; Zhao, Wei; Vempati, Preshant; Steele, John W.; Cheng, Alice; Yamada, Masahito; Levine, Samara; Mazzola, Paolo; Pasinetti, Giulio M (March 26, 2014). "Molecular Topology as Novel Strategy for Discovery of Drugs with Aβ Lowering and Anti-Aggregation Dual Activities for Alzheimer’s Disease". PLOSONE. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0092750.
- Wang, J.; Gong, B.; Zhao, W.; Tang, C.; Varghese, M.; Nguyen, T.; Bi, W.; Bilski, A.; Begum, S.; Vempati, P.; Knable, L.; Ho, L.; Pasinetti, G. M. (February 2014). "Epigenetic mechanisms linking diabetes and synaptic impairments". Diabetes 63 (2): 645–54. doi:10.2337/db13-1063.2014 (inactive 2014-03-23). PMID 24154559.
- Wang, J.; Ferruzzi, M. G.; Ho, L.; Blount, J.; Janle, E. M.; Gong, B.; Pan, Y.; Gowda, G. A. N.; Raftery, D.; Arrieta-Cruz, I.; Sharma, V.; Cooper, B.; Lobo, J.; Simon, J. E.; Zhang, C.; Cheng, A.; Qian, X.; Ono, K.; Teplow, D. B.; Pavlides, C.; Dixon, R. A.; Pasinetti, G. M. (2012). "Brain-Targeted Proanthocyanidin Metabolites for Alzheimer's Disease Treatment". Journal of Neuroscience 32 (15): 5144–5150. doi:10.1523/JNEUROSCI.6437-11.2012. PMC 3348654. PMID 22496560.
- Santa-Maria, I.; Varghese, M.; Ksiezak-Reding, H.; Dzhun, A.; Wang, J.; Pasinetti, G. M. (2012). "Paired helical filaments from Alzheimer's disease brain induce intracellular accumulation of Tau in aggresomes". Journal of Biological Chemistry 287 (24): 20522–33. doi:10.1074/jbc.M111.323279. PMC 3370237. PMID 22496370.
- Lap, L; Varghese, M; Wang, J; Zhao, W; Chen, F; Knable, LA; Ferruzzi, M; Pasinetti, GM (2012). "Dietary supplementation with decaffeinated green coffee improves diet-induced insulin resistance and brain energy metabolism in mice". Nutritional Neuroscience 15 (1): 37–45. doi:10.1179/1476830511Y.0000000027. PMID 22305652.
- Ho, Lap; Zhao, Wei; Dams-O'Connor, Kristen; Tang, Cheuk Y.; Gordon, Wayne; Peskind, Elaine R.; Yemul, Shrishailam; Haroutunian, Vahram; Pasinetti, Giulio Maria. "Elevated Plasma MCP-1 Concentration Following Traumatic Brain Injury as a Potential 'Predisposition' Factor Associated with an Increased Risk for Subsequent Development of Alzheimer's Disease". Journal of Alzheimer's Disease 31 (2).
- Santa-Maria, Ismael; Diaz-Ruiz, Carmen; Ksiezak-Reding, Hanna; Chen, Alice; Ho, Lap; Wang, Jun; Pasinetti, Giulio Maria (2011). "GSPE interferes with tau aggregation in vivo: Implication for treating tauopathy". Neurobiology of Aging 33 (9): 2072–81. doi:10.1016/j.neurobiolaging.2011.09.027. PMC 3472512. PMID 22054871.
- Pasinetti, Giulio Maria; Wang, Jun; Marambaud, Philippe; Ferruzzi, Mario; Gregor, Paul; Knable, Lindsay Alexis; Ho, Lap (2011). "Neuroprotective and metabolic effects of resveratrol: Therapeutic implications for Huntington's disease and other neurodegenerative disorders". Experimental Neurology 232 (1): 1–6. doi:10.1016/j.expneurol.2011.08.014. PMID 21907197.
- Dixon, R. A.; Pasinetti, G. M. (2010). "Flavonoids and Isoflavonoids: From Plant Biology to Agriculture and Neuroscience". Plant Physiology 154 (2): 453–7. doi:10.1104/pp.110.161430. PMC 2948995. PMID 20921162.
- Qin, Weiping; Ho, Lap; Wang, Jun; Peskind, Elaine; Pasinetti, Giulio Maria (2009). Mayeux, Richard, ed. "S100A7, a Novel Alzheimer's Disease Biomarker with Non-Amyloidogenic α-Secretase Activity Acts via Selective Promotion of ADAM-10". PLoS ONE 4 (1): e4183. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0004183. PMC 2613557. PMID 19159013.
- Qin, Weiping; Haroutunian,V; Katsel, P; Cardozo, CP; Ho, L; Buxbaum, JD; Pasinetti GM (March 2009). "PGC-1alpha expression decreases in the Alzheimer disease brain as a function of dementia.". Archives of Neurology 66 (3): 352–361. doi:10.1001/archneurol.2008.588. PMC 3052997. PMID 19273754.
- "Anti-inflammatory drugs fall short in Alzheimer's disease". Nature Medicine 14 (9): 916. 2008. doi:10.1038/nm0908-916. PMID 18776882.
- Pasinetti, Giulio Maria; Eberstein, Jacqueline A. (2008). "Metabolic syndrome and the role of dietary lifestyles in Alzheimer's disease". Journal of Neurochemistry 106 (4): 1503–14. doi:10.1111/j.1471-4159.2008.05454.x. PMC 2587074. PMID 18466323.
- Ono, K.; Condron, M. M.; Ho, L.; Wang, J.; Zhao, W.; Pasinetti, G. M.; Teplow, D. B. (2008). "Effects of Grape Seed-derived Polyphenols on Amyloid -Protein Self-assembly and Cytotoxicity". Journal of Biological Chemistry 283 (47): 32176–87. doi:10.1074/jbc.M806154200. PMC 2583320. PMID 18815129.
- Wang, Jun; Ho, Lap; Chen, Linghong; Zhao, Zhong; Zhao, Wei; Qian, Xianjuan; Humala, Nelson; Seror, Ilana; Bartholomew, Sadie; Rosendorff, Clive; Pasinetti, Giulio Maria (2007). "Valsartan lowers brain β-amyloid protein levels and improves spatial learning in a mouse model of Alzheimer disease". Journal of Clinical Investigation 117 (11): 3393–402. doi:10.1172/JCI31547. PMC 2040315. PMID 17965777.
- Qin, W.; Yang, T; Ho, L; Zhao, Z; Wang, J; Chen, L; Zhao, W; Thiyagarajan, M; MacGrogan, D; Rodgers, JT; Puigserver, P; Sadoshima, J; Deng, H; Pedrini, S; Gandy, S; Sauve, AA; Pasinetti, GM (2006). "Neuronal SIRT1 Activation as a Novel Mechanism Underlying the Prevention of Alzheimer Disease Amyloid Neuropathology by Calorie Restriction". Journal of Biological Chemistry 281 (31): 21745–54. doi:10.1074/jbc.M602909200. PMID 16751189.
- Pompl, PN; Yemul, S; Xiang, Z; Ho, L; Haroutunian, V; Purohit, D; Mohs, R; Pasinetti, GM (Mar 2003). "Caspase gene expression in the brain as a function of the clinical progression of Alzheimer disease.". Archives of neurology 60 (3): 369–76. doi:10.1001/archneur.60.3.369. PMID 12633148.
- Search Results for author Pasinetti GM on PubMed.
- "Glossary". The Michael J. Fox Foundation. 2012-10-26. Retrieved 2014-01-07.
- [dead link]
- Mount Sinai School of Medicine profile
- "Centers of Excellence". Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai. Retrieved 2014-01-07.
- "CARDIOVASCULAR COMPOSITIONS AND USE OF THE SAME FOR THE TREATMENT OF ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE - US Patent Application 20100029654 Abstract". Patentstorm.us. 2007-03-22. Retrieved 2014-01-07.
- "US2010001041 COMPOSITIONS FOR TREATMENT OF ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE". Wipo.int. Retrieved 2014-01-07.
- "Methods for preventing and treating neurodegenerative diseases". IP.com. Retrieved 2014-01-07.
- "Mount Sinai Recognized as Center of Excellence for Research in Complementary and Alternative Medicine for Alzheimer's Disease". Newswise.com. 2007-10-05. Retrieved 2014-01-07.
- "Latest Treatment Options". Alzheimer's Association. Retrieved 2014-01-07.
- Pasinetti, Giulio Maria. "Mount Sinai Researcher Profile". Retrieved 6 February 2014.
- "Current Translational Geriatrics and Gerontology Reports – incl. option to publish open access". Springer.com. Retrieved 2014-01-07.
- "Editors & Editorial Board". Journal of Trauma & Treatment. OMICS Group. Retrieved 2014-01-07.
- American Journal of Molecular Biology. "Editorial Board".
- Neurobiology of Aging. "Editorial Board".