Give Me Back My Hometown
|"Give Me Back My Hometown"|
|Single by Eric Church|
|from the album The Outsiders|
|Released||January 7, 2014|
|Writer(s)||Eric Church, Luke Laird|
|Eric Church singles chronology|
Matt Bjorke of Roughstock gave the single 4 out of 5 stars, saying that "Jay Joyce’s production once again finds musically interesting things to do while Church earnestly sings about the loss of his hometown, not because it’s actually gone or changed but because the girl who helped it make it worthwhile has left him and the town back" and "for the middle of the road fan who likes the softer moments of Eric Church’s music…this one should easily be much more pleasing to them than "The Outsiders" was."
Eric Church had his best debut on the chart when the song opened at No. 95 on the Billboard Hot 100 and No. 39 on the Hot Country Songs on its week of release with 28,000 sold for the week. The following week it climbed to No. 55 on the Billboard Hot 100 and No. 25 on the Hot Country Songs, and topped the Country Digital Song chart with 61,000 copies sold. It peaked at No. 36 on the Billboard Hot 100 on its 14th week of release, and No. 4 on the Hot Country Songs chart on its 15th week. As of June 2014 the single has sold 758,000 downloads in the United States.
The song also debuted at No. 61 on the Canadian Hot 100 on its first week of release and climbed to No. 30 on its second week.
Peter Zavadil directed the music video, which according to The Boot, "features Church singing as an ominous story plays out, including a priest (Steven Michael Quezada) presiding over a roadside funeral in a rundown part of town."
In response to the viewers' confusion over the meaning of the video's story, Church said "I don't understand it either." It has been revealed, however, that with every single and video released from the album, the story will continue to unfold.
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||30|
|Canada Country (Billboard)||1|
|US Billboard Hot 100||36|
|US Country Airplay (Billboard)||1|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||4|
"Doin' What She Likes"
by Blake Shelton
|Billboard Canada Country
April 19–26, 2014
"Drink to That All Night"
by Jerrod Niemann
by Brantley Gilbert
|Billboard Country Airplay
May 17, 2014
"Get Me Some of That"
by Thomas Rhett
- Wade Jessen, Nashville (January 9, 2014). "Eric Church Logs Best Debut On Hot Country Songs". Billboard.
- "Give Me Back My Hometown". Allmusic. Retrieved 27 January 2014.
- Bjorke, Matt (3 January 2014). "Single Review: Eric Church — 'Give Me Back My Hometown'". Roughstock. Retrieved 27 January 2014.
- Bjorke, Matt (2013-01-15). "Country Chart News - The Top 30 Digital Singles - January 15, 2014: Luke Bryan, Lucy Hale, Eric Church, Cassadee Pope, Scotty McCreery". Roughstock.
- Conaway, Alanna (2013-01-24). "Country Chart News - The Top 30 Digital Singles - January 22, 2014: Eric Church, Blake Shelton, Cole Swindell, Cassadee Pope, Scotty McCreery Tops". Roughstock.
- Roland, Tom (July 2, 2014). "Florida Georgia Line, Luke Bryan, Eric Church Lead SoundScan Mid-Year Country Charts". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved July 2, 2014.
- Hansen, Dave J. (19 January 2014). "Video Breakdown: Eric Church’s ‘Give Me Back My Hometown’". Don't Pop The Music. Retrieved 12 February 2014.
- Thompson, Gayle (18 January 2014). "Eric Church Releases ‘Give Me Back My Hometown’ Video". The Boot. Retrieved 27 January 2014.
- "Eric Church Album & Song Chart History" Canadian Hot 100 for Eric Church.
- "Eric Church Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Canada Country for Eric Church.
- "Eric Church Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Eric Church.
- "Eric Church Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Country Airplay for Eric Church.
- "Eric Church Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Eric Church.