Give Me the Night (album)
|Give Me The Night|
|Studio album by George Benson|
|Released||August 9, 1980|
|Genre||Soul, Funk, Jazz, Pop, R&B|
|Label||Qwest, Warner Bros.|
|George Benson chronology|
|The Rolling Stone Jazz Record Guide|||
Released Summer 1980, Produced by Quincy Jones and released on Jones' start-up label Qwest Records, in conjunction with Warner Bros. Records, this album would chart number one on both the Top Soul Albums and Jazz Albums Chart as well as number three on the Billboard Pop Albums charts. Lead by the number one single on the Soul Singles chart, "Give Me the Night". The song "Moody´s Mood" was recorded with R&B singer Patti Austin. It was certified Platinum by the RIAA. This would be the only album that Quincy Jones would produce for George Benson.
This album won Benson three Grammy Awards in 1981; Best Male R&B Vocal Performance, while "Moody's Mood" received Best Jazz Vocal Performance, Male and "Off Broadway" received Best R&B Instrumental Performance. Quincy Jones and Jerry Hey also won the Grammy Award for Best Instrumental Arrangement for the song "Dinorah, Dinorah."
All tracks composed by Rod Temperton, except where indicated.
- "Love X Love" 4:45
- "Off Broadway" 5:23
- "Moody's Mood (Featuring Patti Austin)" (Eddie Jefferson, James Moody) 3:24
- "Give Me the Night" 5:01
- "What's On Your Mind" (Glen Ballard, Kerry Chater) 4:02
- "Dinorah, Dinorah" (Ivan Lins, Vitor Martins) 3:39
- "Love Dance" (Ivan Lins, Gilson Peranzzetta, Paul Williams) 3:18
- "Star of a Story (X)" 4:42
- "Midnight Love Affair" (David "Hawk" Wolinski) 3:31
- "Turn Out the Lamplight" 4:43
- George Benson - Guitar, Lead and Backing Vocals
- Herbie Hancock, *Richard Tee - Electric Piano, Synthesizer
- Clare Fischer - Synthesizer, Acoustic Piano, Electric Piano
- Michael Boddicker - Synthesizer
- Lee Ritenour - Guitar
- Greg Phillinganes, George Duke - Keyboards, Synthesizer
- Louis Johnson, Abe Laboriel - Bass
- Carlos Vega, John Robinson - Drums
- Paulinho Da Costa - Percussion
- Jerry Hey - Trumpet
- Kim Hutchcroft, Larry Williams - Saxophone, Flute
- Patti Austin - Lead and Backing Vocals
- Jim Gilstrap, Diva Gray, Jocelyn Allen - Backing Vocals
- Patrice Rushen - Backing Vocals
- Bruce Swedien - Recording Engineer
|Billboard Pop Albums||3|
|Billboard Top Soul Albums||1|
|Billboard Top Jazz Albums||1|
|Billboard Hot 100||US
|1980||"Give Me The Night"||4||1||2|
|"Love X Love"||61||9||-|
|1981||"Turn Out The Lamplight"||-||33||-|
- Ginell, Richard S.. George Benson: Give Me The Night > Review at AllMusic. Retrieved 27 September 2011.
- Swenson, J. (Editor) (1985). The Rolling Stone Jazz Record Guide. USA: Random House/Rolling Stone. p. 23. ISBN 0-394-72643-X.
- "American album certifications – George Benson – Give Me the Night". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH
- "George Benson US albums chart history". allmusic.com. Retrieved 2011-09-27.
- "George Benson US singles chart history". allmusic.com. Retrieved 2011-09-27.