|Developer(s)||The GNOME Project|
|Stable release||3.14.1 (October 15, 2014[±])|
|Preview release||3.13.92 (September 19, 2014[±])|
|License||GNU General Public License|
GNOME Chess (formerly glChess) is a graphical front-end featuring a 2D and a 3D chessboard interface. GNOME Chess does not comprise an own chess engine, but most Linux distributions package GNU Chess as default chess engine with it. Additionally GNOME Chess supports third party chess engines, known ones are automatically detected.
to play against the computer a third party chess engine must be present,
Pieces are supported as .svg- or as .3ds-files, see https://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-chess/tree/data/pieces
Third-party chess engines
GNOME Chess supports following chess engines:
- GNU Chess
- Glaurung, ?
- Toga II
- Boo's Chess Engine
And a couple more.
glChess was written by Robert Ancell in 2000 only as a personal project to test open source development.
First version was written in C, OpenGL for graphics, and GLUT for the user interface. In May 5 was released 0.1.0, the first but still not playable version, being only capable to draw board and pieces. Days later, on May 31, version 0.1.3 was finally included on SourceForge and playable on a very basic way.
On April 8, 2001 version 0.2.0 changed GLUT to GTK+ focusing the improvement in visual aspects instead of its chess playability. Version 0.3.0, from June 27, could play against other artificial intelligence (AI) engines, like Crafty and GNU Chess, after a Chess Engine Communication Protocol (CECP) implementation and it was ported to IRIX platform. In December, version 0.4.0 was the last one before the project entered into a stand-by time of three years.
In December, 2004, there was an advance to version 0.8.0 in order to accelerate the achievement the 1.0. This version added network support and uptdated Gtk+ from version 1.2 to 2.0.
One year later, December 2005, version 0.9.0 was intended to be the last release before 1.0. It replaced C for Python to improve platform portability and maintenance, besides having a better test approach of the codebase testing.
On December 16, 2006, glChess finally reached version 1.0.
- "GNOME Shell 3.14.1". GNOME mailing list. October 14, 2014. Retrieved October 20, 2014.
- Jardón, Javier (September 19, 2014). "GNOME 3.13.92". gnome-devel-announce mailing list. https://mail.gnome.org/archives/devel-announce-list/2014-September/msg00005.html. Retrieved September 20, 2014.
- "GNOME Chess history". GNOME. Retrieved 2014-03-15.
- "GNOME Chess supported chess engines".
- Chess from GNOME Wiki. Retrieved on September 24, 2012.
- Package glChess from Debian site. Retrieved on September 26, 2012.
- "Chess Manual". GNOME Library. Retrieved 2013-08-04.