|Minister for Transport|
3 April 2011
|Preceded by||John Robertson|
|Member of the New South Wales Parliament
22 March 2003
|Preceded by||Peter Collins|
22 September 1970 |
Gladys Berejiklian MP (born 22 September 1970), is an Australian politician. Berejiklian is the New South Wales State Government Minister for Transport in the O'Farrell Ministry. Berejiklian is a member of the New South Wales Legislative Assembly representing Willoughby for the Liberal Party of Australia since 2003. Berejiklian has been outspoken against the former NSW Labor Government's handling of trains, buses and ferries.
Early years and background
Berejiklian was born in Sydney and has a Bachelor of Arts (1992), a Graduate Diploma in International Studies (1996) from the University of Sydney and Master of Commerce from the University of New South Wales (2001). She served a term on the Armenian National Committee of Australia.
Berejiklian joined the Liberal Party in 1993 and was President of the New South Wales Young Liberal Party (1997-1998), being the third female President in its history. She also served as a Delegate to State Council (1996–2003), Urban Representative of the NSW Liberal Party State Executive (1997–2003), Campaign Director for State seat of Willougby (1999) and Chair of Convention Committee (2002). Berejiklian also worked for Peter Collins and Senator Helen Coonan and the Commonwealth Bank as General Manager, Youth Retail Banking and Government & Industry Affairs.
Elected as the Member for Willoughby in 2003. She joined the frontbench in 2005 as Shadow Minister for Mental Health and was appointed to the opposition frontbench portfolio of Transport by Peter Debnam in 2006. Following the 2007 State election, Berejiklian was given the shadow portfolio of Citizenship by Opposition Leader O'Farrell.
- Gare, Shelley (25 August 2011). "Can she fix it?". Sydney Morning Herald.
- The Hon. Gladys BEREJIKLIAN, BA, DIntS, MCom MP
- Armenian National Committee of Australia Report
- "Past Presidents of the Young Liberals". Young Liberal Movement. Retrieved 3 October 2012.
- Parliament @ Work Australian Government Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations
- "ANC Australia Congratulates Berejiklian On Milestone". Armenian National Committee of Australia. Retrieved 9 March 2014.
- "New faces in Barry O'Farrell's Cabinet". The Australian (News Limited). AAP. 3 April 2011. Retrieved 3 April 2011.
|Parliament of New South Wales|
|Member for Willoughby
2003 – present
|Minister for Transport
2011 – present