Glaring Through Oblivion
|Cover artist||Sako Shahinian|
|Preceded by||Cool Gardens|
Glaring Through Oblivion is the second poetry book by the Grammy Award-winning Armenian-American lead singer of the band System of a Down, Serj Tankian. Unlike the first poetry book, Cool Gardens, Glaring Through Oblivion was published by HarperCollins Publishers and printed in China, and released on March 22, 2011.
The book begins with a prose about how Serj feels a few days after 9/11 and fears to say what's on his mind because of threats against him and his band just because people were too ignorant to accept his opinion on the American government and misunderstood a statement he made about it. The prose ends with Serj promising ' I, myself, have vowed to never ever again hold my tongue. ' and is followed by 50 poems. While some of them contain quotations which ended in his songs, although sometimes a bit modified others only consist of one line and don't have a title. The last poem in the book, Borders, actually was to become a whole song on his second album Imperfect Harmonies known as the second Track Borders Are... also contains several poems from cool gardens.
- A prose A few days after September 11th
- Deaf Nation
- Down with the System
- The Hand
- Countless Manipulations
- We intend to rest through motion, speak through silence, and fight through peace.
- The Fool
- Antwerp Melting
- Remote Viewing
- World of Words
- Blindness serves not God, but man.
- Home is a place you can't walk away from, in the end.
- You speak to millions but talk to no one.
- Lovely in love, ugly in death, better than sex in Turkish prisons, safer than cement condoms.
- The messenger speaks through chaos
- Los Angeles
- Dates, Rates, Plates, Fates, Mates, and Kates
- I'm being chased by children playing miniature toy accordions made in China.
- The Void (was already published in Cool Gardens)
- Life Savers (already on Cool Gardens)
- She sells sea shells, buy the real whore!
- The blind man cannot see all the marchers on the opposite side.
- I adore the whore who calls herself reality.
- The Teacher
- The Nerves of Them
- Spare Me the Night
- Poisoning Poseidon
- Fancy fucking you here!
- Diatribe Trivialities
- Picture Frame
- Undying Form
- Bottled Water
- The Silk Weaver
- Life is a potato pancake being eaten by fireflies in the middle of Ohio.
- The Incandescent Pause
- Forgot to Remember
- Praying for Peace
- Encore, you whore,get us more of that unfailing drink we called for.
Glaring Through Oblivion. Words 2011 by Serj Tankian