|Some or all of this article's listed sources may not be reliable. (February 2013)|
Glassine is a very thin and smooth paper that is air and water resistant. It is translucent unless dyes are added to color it or make it opaque. It is manufactured by supercalendering: after pressing and drying, the paper web is passed through a stack of alternating steel and fiber-covered rolls called a supercalender at the end of the paper machine such that the paper fibres flatten facing in the same direction.
Glassine is employed as an interleaving paper in bookbinding, especially to protect fine illustrations from contact with facing pages; the paper can be manufactured with a neutral pH, and can prevent damage from spilling, exposure, or rubbing. Glassine adhesive tape has been used in book repair. In chemistry, glassine is used as an inexpensive weighing paper. It is used in foodservice as a barrier between strips of products (for example: meat, baked goods). Glassine is resistant to grease and facilitates separation of individual foodstuffs.
Glassine is also recommended for protecting the surface of stored acrylic paintings.
Glassine is used as a base paper for making greaseproof paper.
Amateur insect collectors use glassine envelopes to store specimens temporarily in the field before they are mounted in a collection. Entomologists collecting for research may likewise use glassine envelopes to store whole specimens in the field.
Some people may have noticed the word 'glassine' used in crime novels, where evidence is described being placed in glassine bags.
- The Acrylic book - A comprehensive resource for Artists © Liquitex Artist Materials 2007
- Stamp hinges aren't perfect, but they do help Michael Baadke
- "60,000 Glassine Bags of Heroin Seized in Westchester". DEA. 2006-11-28.
Law enforcement officers arrested Thevenin at that location and recovered two boxes containing approximately 60,000 individually packaged glassines of heroin.
- "DEA 'Brand' Used to Market Heroin". DEA. 2008-08-04. Retrieved 2008-09-01.
the DEA raided NUNEZs residence in the early hours of July 31, where heroin glassine bags (used to package heroin) were found that contained the official DEA Agency emblem.
- Burhans, Dirk E. (2008). Crunch: A History of the Great American Potato Chip, p.33. Terrace Books, Madison Wi. ISBN 978-0-299-22770-8.
- Glassine Paper - Buy Glassine Paper,White Glassine Paper,Bleached White Glassine Paper Product on Alibaba.com
- Andy's Tessellation Page
- Origami Tessellations | Eric Gjerde Origami