Glen Town Hall in November 2013.
Location of Glen, Mississippi
|• Total||4.7 sq mi (12.1 km2)|
|• Land||4.7 sq mi (12.1 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|• Density||88/sq mi (34.1/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
The town of Glen, located 9 miles (14 km) southeast of Corinth, owes its beginning to the Memphis & Charleston Railroad. Glen was originally called "Glendale" and is marked as such on old railroad maps.
Glen is located at (34.859967, -88.418633).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 4.7 square miles (12 km2), of which 4.7 square miles (12 km2) is land and 0.21% is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 286 people, 121 households, and 87 families residing in the town. The population density was 61.1 people per square mile (23.6/km²). There were 133 housing units at an average density of 28.4 per square mile (11.0/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 99.65% White, and 0.35% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.70% of the population.
There were 121 households out of which 28.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 62.8% were married couples living together, 6.6% had a female householder with no husband present, and 27.3% were non-families. 26.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 10.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.36 and the average family size was 2.86.
In the town the population was spread out with 22.4% under the age of 18, 7.3% from 18 to 24, 27.6% from 25 to 44, 25.2% from 45 to 64, and 17.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 39 years. For every 100 females there were 115.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 113.5 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $26,964, and the median income for a family was $27,813. Males had a median income of $27,083 versus $21,667 for females. The per capita income for the town was $14,541. About 7.1% of families and 10.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 12.5% of those under the age of eighteen and 15.2% of those sixty five or over.
Places of interest
- Corinth City Water Treatment Plant
- Kingsford Charcoal Plant
The town of Glen is served by the Alcorn School District.
- Alcorn Central Elementary School - grades K-4 with an enrollment of 508 students
- Alcorn Central High School - grades 9-12 with an enrollment of 499 students
- Alcorn Central Middle School - grades 5-8 with an enrollment of 514 students
- Glendale Elementary - grades K-6 with an estimated enrollment of 175 students.
FM radio stations
- WTRR-LP 97.1 - owned by Write to Read Radio, Inc.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Glen town, Mississippi". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved June 18, 2013.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Brieger, James. Hometown, Mississippi. (1997). ISBN 1-886017-27-1