|Born||Glen William Bell, Jr.
September 3, 1923
Lynwood, California, United States
|Died||January 16, 2010
Rancho Santa Fe, California, United States
Cause of death
|Alma mater||San Bernardino High School|
|Known for||Founder of Taco Bell restaurants|
|Home town||Lynwood, California, USA|
|Children||James Bell and Andrew Bell|
Born in Lynwood, California, Glen Bell attended and graduated from San Bernardino High School in 1941. He served in the U.S. Marine Corps during World War II. Bell left the military in 1946 and started his first hot dog stand, called Bell's Drive-In, in San Bernardino in 1948. In 1952, he sold the hot dog stand and built a second stand that sold hot dogs and hamburgers. Shortly thereafter, he started selling tacos at the price of 19 cents each from a side window. Between 1954 and 1955, he opened three Taco Tias in the San Bernardino area, eventually selling those restaurants & opening four El Tacos with a partner in the Long Beach area.
In 1962, he decided to go solo and sold the El Tacos to his partner and opened his first Taco Bell. Bell franchised his restaurant in 1964. His company grew rapidly, and the 868-restaurant chain was later sold to PepsiCo in 1978 for $125 million in stock.
Bell died of a heart attack on January 16, 2010, at the age of 86. He is survived by his wife Martha, two sons, a daughter, four grandchildren, and three sisters. Bell's family had his interment at their ranch. It was at Meadowlark Pioneer Memorial Cemetery in San Marcos.
- Hevesi, Dennis (January 18, 2010). "Glen W. Bell Jr., Founder of Taco Bell, Dies at 86". The New York Times. Retrieved January 19, 2010.
- "Taco Bell founder dies at age 86". Retrieved 2010-01-18.
- "San Bernardino City Schools - Official Website - Distinguished Cardinal Citizens". Sbcusd.com. 1936-12-07. Retrieved 2015-01-29.
- "Taco Bell founder dies at age 86". MSNBC. 2010-01-18. Retrieved 2015-01-29.
- "Remembering Glenn Bell". 2010-01-17. Retrieved 2010-01-19.
- Cunningham, Reginald. "Taco Bell Founder Dies". Weekly World News. Retrieved 2015-01-29.