Glendale Adventist Medical Center
|Glendale Adventist Medical Center|
|Location||1509 East Wilson Terrace, Glendale, California, United States|
|Affiliated university||Loma Linda University|
|Lists||Hospitals in California|
|Part of a series on|
Seventh-day Adventist portal
Glendale Adventist Medical Center (GAMC) is a non-profit organization located in the Los Angeles suburb of Glendale, California, USA. GAMC is one of the city's oldest businesses, founded in 1905, a year before Glendale was incorporated as a city. It was then known as Glendale Sanitarium, and it occupied the former Glendale Hotel, a 75-room Victorian structure on what is now Broadway Avenue.
It was owned and operated by the Seventh-day Adventist Church, as part of its mission of community caring that helped form its reputation as a "health resort" of choice. It is now a part of Adventist Health with the same mission.
Today, Glendale Adventist Medical Center has eight centers of excellence: Advanced Surgical Program, Cancer Services, Heart and Vascular Institute, Neuroscience Institute, Orthopedic Services, Rehabilitative Services, Spine Institute and Women's Services. In 2011, GAMC had been voted Glendale's Best Hospital for several years running. It also has a reputation as a Certified Advanced Primary Stroke Center, One of the Best Places to Work in Los Angeles and San Fernando Valleys, Gold Performance Plus Achievement Award from the American Stroke Association, and Three-Year Certificate of Approval with Commendations from the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer. It offers more than 80 support groups and ongoing health education classes.
In 2009, GAMC started HEALTHline, a weekly television show helping people to understand their health and health options. HEALTHline can also be viewed online.
GAMC is heavily involved with the community and supports and participates in many annual events such as Glendale Downtown Dash held on daylight savings day every March, the American Cancer Society's Relay for Life, and the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association's Saving Strokes.
"Angel of Death"
Efren Saldivar, a respiratory therapist at the hospital until 1998, came to be dubbed the "Angel of Death" when he confessed to 50 murders of patients through the injection of paralytic drugs, though he later retracted the confession. In 2002, he was charged with six murders and pleaded guilty. Many more patients are believed to have died.
Glendale Adventist Academy
In 1907, the Glendale Sanitarium, as it was called, had a one-room school in its basement. In the 1930s, that school relocated to a building in Chevy Chase and called itself Glendale Union Academy. Eventually, GUA relocated to its current location on Kimlin Drive and Academy Place and renamed itself Glendale Adventist Academy.  
The HealthGrades website has much rating information on this hospital. Two items are presented here: patient outcomes for admitted patients, patient safety indicators. For patient outcomes HealthGrades provides this information:
- Worse than expected outcome - 4 ratings
- As expected outcome - 19 ratings
- Better than expected outcome - 6 ratings.
Glendale rates as follows on patient safety indicators:
- Worse than average indicator - 2 ratings
- Average indicator - 7 ratings
- Better than average indicator - 4 indicators.
The Hospital is part of Adventist Health, a health care organization headquartered in Roseville, California. Adventist Health represents regional delivery networks spanning California, Hawaii, Oregon and Washington. The networks comprise 85 distinct business units including 20 acute care facilities—controlled, managed or leased—with more than 3,000 beds, 17,000 employees, numerous clinics and outpatient facilities, medical foundations and 18 home health agencies.
- This hospital in the CA Healthcare Atlas A project by OSHPD
- List of Seventh-day Adventist hospitals
- List of Seventh-day Adventist medical schools
- List of Seventh-day Adventist secondary schools
- List of Seventh-day Adventist colleges and universities
- Seventh-day Adventist Church
- Seventh-day Adventist theology
- History of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
- HEALTHline, Glendale Adventist Medical Center website
- "'Angel of Death' charged with murder in serial killing of six patients", CNN.com, January 9, 2001
- "Glendale Adventist To Pay $700K To Settle Patient Dumping Allegation," CBS Los Angeles online, August 27, 2014, at http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2014/08/27/glendale-adventist-to-pay-700k-to-settle-patient-dumping-allegation/ .
- US News and World Report online, at http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/area/ca/glendale-adventist-medical-center-6930831 .
- Consumer Reports online, at http://www.consumerreports.org/health/doctors-hospitals/hospitals/hospital-ratings/glendale-adventist-medical-center-6930831-general-information.htm .
- HealthGrades website, at http://www.healthgrades.com/hospital-directory/california-ca-los-angeles/glendale-adventist-medical-center-hgst97518d46050239 .
- Adventist Health: About Us