|Born||1965 (age 47–48)
Glenn McCoy is an American conservative cartoonist, whose work includes the comic strip The Duplex and the daily panel he does with his brother Gary entitled The Flying McCoys. McCoy also produces editorial cartoons. All three cartoon features are syndicated by Universal Press Syndicate.
Glenn McCoy was born in 1965 and began drawing at the age of 4 under the supervision of his older brother and grandfather. His interest in cartoons and daily strips caused him to work as a cartoonist in newspapers published in his grade school, high school and college. He graduated from Southern Illinois University with a bachelor’s degree in fine arts and graphic design.
After graduation, McCoy started as an art director/editorial cartoonist for the Belleville News-Democrat in his hometown of Belleville, Illinois. He also began working for Playboy as a gag cartoonist in 1992. One year later he created his best-known comic strip - The Duplex.
In 1993, Glenn McCoy began his comic strip The Duplex, syndicated by Universal Press Syndicate.
In 2005, Glenn and his brother Gary launched The Flying McCoys—a single panel comic that's syndicated through Universal Press (featured in The Los Angeles Times, Chicago Sun Times, Washington Post and about 150 other clients). The brothers switch writing and art duties on a daily basis.
McCoy has also become known for his editorial cartoons published through the Belleville News-Democrat. In 2008, Daily Kos and Mother Jones singled out one of his cartoons portraying Barack Obama as being in extremely poor taste.
- National Cartoonist Society awarded the following awards to Glenn McCoy:
- Editorial Cartoon Award for 1997 (he has been nominated again in 2007).
- Gag Cartoon Award for 1996 and 2003 (nominated for the Gag Cartoon Award in 1997 and 1999).
- Greeting Card Award for 2002 and 2003.
- Magazine Gag Cartoon for 2002.
- Magazine Gag Cartoon for 2006.
- Newspaper Comic Strip for 2004, for his work on The Duplex.
- Glenn McCoy - Editorial Cartoons
- The Duplex Cartoons
- The Flying McCoys Cartoons
- Glenn McCoy's biography at the NCS site
- Page on Glenn McCoy by his publisher - Universal Press Syndicate