Glenn Miller Orchestra
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (February 2013)|
|Glenn Miller Orchestra|
Glenn Miller Orchestra, 2009.
|Genres||Jazz, Big band|
George Reinert III
Holbrook Riles III
|Past members||Bobby Hackett
Julia Rich (vocal)
The Glenn Miller Orchestra was originally formed in 1938 by Glenn Miller. It was arranged around a clarinet and tenor saxophone playing melody, while three other saxophones played the harmony. Miller had already formed one band before this in 1936, but dissolved it as he considered it too similar to other bands of the era.
The new band became very popular and recorded a number of chart successes — among these were the ever-popular "Moonlight Serenade", "In the Mood", "Tuxedo Junction", "Pennsylvania 6-5000", "Chattanooga Choo Choo", "A String of Pearls", "At Last", and "(I've Got a Gal In) Kalamazoo."
After the disappearance (and presumed death) of Miller in 1944, the band was reconstituted under the direction of Tex Beneke, its lead tenor saxophonist, singer, and one of Miller's longtime close friends. A few years later, the Miller estate, having parted ways with Beneke, hired Ray McKinley, principal drummer in Miller's Army Air Force band, to organize a new "ghost band" in 1956.
Hollywood contributed to the band's popularity and that of its founder and original members with the 1953 release of The Glenn Miller Story on the big screen. The band garnered award nominations and box office success, as well as top hit status for its soundtrack album in 1954.
The Glenn Miller Orchestra continued to record and perform under various leaders starting in 1956 and is still touring today. Singer Nick Hilscher became the director of the touring band in 2012, replacing previous director Gary Tole.
Current members 2013 
- Nick Hilscher – Male Vocalist and Music Director
- Eileen Burns – Female Vocalist
- Kevin Sheehan – Lead Alto Saxophone, Clarinet, Flute, Arranger
- Nigel Yancey – 2nd Alto Saxophone, Clarinet, Flute
- Cody Leavel – Tenor Sax 1, Clarinet, Flute
- Jonathan Rees – Tenor Saxophone 2, Clarinet, Flute
- Ian O'Beirne – Baritone Saxophone, Alto Saxophone, Bass Clarinet, Bb Clarinet, Flute, Assistant Road Manager
- Ashley Hall – Lead Trumpet, Road Manager
- Robert Quallich – Split Lead Trumpet
- Shawn Williams – Jazz Trumpet
- Jonathan McQuade – Trumpet
- George Reinert III – Lead Trombone, Stage Manager
- John Tyler – 2nd Trombone
- Joseph Zeigenfus – 3rd Trombone
- Jason Bennett – Bass Trombone, 4th Trombone, Music Copyist
- James Navan – Piano
- Holbrook Riles III – Drums
- Sean Muzzi – Bass
- Moonlight Serenaders Vocal Group: Nick Hilscher, Ian O'Beirne, Jonathan McQuade, Kevin Sheehan, Eileen Burns
See also 
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Glenn Miller Orchestra|
- Website of the Glenn Miller Orchestra
- Current List of Personnel on the Glenn Miller Orchestra Website
- Website of Leader Nick Hilscher
- Website of vocalist Eileen Burns
- YouTube Videos from 1983 GMO US and Japan Tour