Location in Tattnall County and the state of Georgia
|• Mayor||Chris Roessler|
|• Total||6.7 sq mi (17.1 km2)|
|• Land||6.6 sq mi (17 km2)|
|• Water||0.1 sq mi (0.1 km2)|
|Elevation||171 ft (52 m)|
|• Density||543.4/sq mi (212.9/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0331820|
Glennville is located at (31.939206, -81.926866).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 6.6 square miles (17 km2), of which, 6.5 square miles (17 km2) of it is land and 0.1 square miles (0.26 km2) of it (0.75%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 3,641 people, 1,428 households, and 912 families residing in the city. The population density was 553.4 people per square mile (213.6/km²). There were 1,668 housing units at an average density of 253.5 per square mile (97.9/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 63.36% White, 33.64% African American, 0.14% Native American, 0.71% Asian, 0.11% Pacific Islander, 1.29% from other races, and 0.74% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.42% of the population.
There were 1,428 households out of which 29.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 44.2% were married couples living together, 16.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 36.1% were non-families. 32.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 16.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.42 and the average family size was 3.07.
In the city the population was spread out with 26.5% under the age of 18, 8.3% from 18 to 24, 24.6% from 25 to 44, 20.8% from 45 to 64, and 19.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 78.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 72.0 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $24,309, and the median income for a family was $35,066. Males had a median income of $26,861 versus $16,982 for females. The per capita income for the city was $13,427. About 21.7% of families and 28.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 46.0% of those under age 18 and 17.2% of those age 65 or over.
The Georgia Department of Corrections provides jobs for hundreds of people within the local area of the city of Glennville and the rest of Tattnall County and surrounding counties. Smith State Prison, which is a close security facility, is located right in the heart of Glennville. The facility can house 1000+/ inmates at any given time.
- Shannon Sharpe, football analyst for CBS, former professional football player, NFL Hall of Fame Inductee 2011
- Sterling Sharpe, former collegiate and professional football player with the University of South Carolina and the Green Bay Packers. 2014 College Football Hall of Fame Inductee.
- Katelyn Tarver, singer, actress, and model
- Osjha Anderson, Miss Georgia 1999
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Glennville" Explore Georgia. Retrieved 2014-5-20.