|Population||19,664 (2011) |
|Area||9.1 km2 (3.5 sq mi)|
|Location||13 km (8 mi) from Melbourne|
|LGA(s)||City of Moreland|
|State electorate(s)||Pascoe Vale, Broadmeadows|
Glenroy is a suburb of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 13 km north of Melbourne's central business district. Its local government area is the City of Moreland. At the 2011 Census, Glenroy had a population of 19,664.
Glenroy is located in the northwest of the City of Moreland, and is bounded by the Western Ring Road in the north, the Moonee Ponds Creek in the west, New Road, Victoria Street and Rhodes Parade in the south and West Street, Hilton Street, Box Forest Road and the Upfield railway line in the east.
After World War II significant development occurred when organisations such as the Australian National Airways, the War Services Homes Commission and the Housing Commission of Victoria developed large areas of Glenroy. Residential development continued rapidly through the 1950s, and a Glenroy East Post Office opened in 1958 (closing in 1977).
According to 2006 Census data, 18,870 people live in Glenroy. Traditionally, Glenroy had a high proportion of Australian born residents, however, the proportion of overseas born residents has increased dramatically.
Historical census data
- 1891: 224
- 1921: 545
- 1947: 1,135
- 2001: 18,550
- Glenroy College
- Glenroy Central Primary School
- Glenroy Private
- Glenroy West Primary School
- Belle Vue Park Primary School
- Penola Catholic College: Glenroy Campus (7-8)
- Glenroy Specialist School
- Corpus Christi Catholic Primary School
- Ballerrt Murrup College
Golfers play at the course of the Northern Golf Club on Glenroy Road.
Glenroy is home to the Glenroy Cricket Club, who compete in the VTCA. The club shares their home ground with the Glenroy Football Club and is located on the north-east corner of the Northern Golf Club, on Glenroy Road.
Glenroy is home to professional track star Mina Eskander.
Landmarks and notable places
The following places in Glenroy are listed in the Victorian Heritage Register:
The following places are covered by Heritage Overlay controls in the Moreland Planning Scheme:
- HO205 2 Churchill Street, Glenroy - House
- HO209 127 Glenroy Road, Glenroy - House
- HO210 139 Glenroy Road, Glenroy - House
- HO211 149 Glenroy Road, Glenroy - "Minnawarra"
- HO212 9 Grandview Street, Glenroy - House
- HO213 Hartington Street (cnr Melbourne Avenue), Glenroy - Electricity Substation
- HO222 34 Finchley Avenue, Glenroy
- HO223 Plumpton Avenue, Glenroy - Former St. Matthew's church, c. 1908
- HO225 6 Salisbury Street, Glenroy - "Taringa"
- HO226 21 South Street, Glenroy - Kingsley College (Huningtower)
- HO230 11 Tudor Street, Glenroy - "Buangor"
- HO234 92 Wheatsheaf Road, Glenroy - Shop
- HO235 139 Wheatsheaf Road, Glenroy - Shop and dwelling
- HO236 32 Widford Street (cnr Melbourne Avenue), Glenroy - "Wiseman House"
- HO237 73 Plumpton Avenue, Glenroy - Dwelling
- City of Broadmeadows - the former local government area of which Glenroy was a part