|Website||Glide Mobile Website|
Glide OS is a cross-platform web desktop developed by TransMedia Corporation. It is notable for operating on both desktop operating systems, like Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X and Linux and mobile operating systems like Apple iOS, Google Android and Honeycomb, BlackBerry OS and BlackBerry Tablet OS (QNX), webOS, Symbian and Windows Mobile. Glide OS is compatible with a variety of web browsers, including Microsoft Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Apple Safari, and Google Chrome.
TransMedia was founded by Donald Leka in September 2001. He began to develop a cloud computing platform that could manage media across proprietary platforms. The Company shifted its focus from business clients to consumers unveiling Glide at the National Association of Broadcasters (NAB) Convention on April 18, 2005 and launching a free consumer version on November 30, 2005.
The current HTML5 version of Glide is 4.0 and was presented at the Harvard University Cyberposium 16 Technology Conference on November 13, 2010. The previous version, 3.0, was launched on May 20, 2008 at the All Things Digital Conference (AllThingsD).
Glide provides support for most tablets including the Apple iPad, HP Touchpad, BlackBerry Playbook, Samsung Galaxy, Motorola XOOM and most recently the Amazon Kindle Fire and Barnes & Noble Nook Tablet.
Glide OS and TransMedia have won numerous awards, including PC World's Top 100 Products of the Year, Laptop Magazine's Top 50 Products of the Year, EContent Magazine's Top 100 Companies of the Year and Red Herring's Top 100 Companies of the Year among others.
Glide features a desktop-like interface which displays the Desktop, Glide HD, and Web Portal. Glide includes several web-based applications, including an integrated office suite, media players, photo editor, calendar software, webmail, address book, micro-blogging service, publishing platform and Internet search client.
- AllThingsD Demo: Transmedia's Glide
- Glide OS Connects across devices, desktops
- TransMedia Introduces Glide(TM) Effortless
- Glide Lifts Off: The Journey Toward Desktop Freedom Begins
- Harvard University Cyberposium 16 Technology Conference, November 13, 2010
- Countdown to Glide OS 3.0
- Intel to Put Glide OS on PCs
- Glide OS Support for Smartphones and Tablets
- Glide OS PCWorld 100 Best Products of the Year
- Glide OS Laptop Magazine Top 50 Products of the Year
- TransMedia EContent Magazine Top 100 Companies of the Year
- TransMedia Red Herring Top 100 Companies of the Year
- Time Warner Cable's Road Runner Rolls Out TransMedia's Glide