Gliese 86 b
|Extrasolar planet||List of extrasolar planets|
|Right ascension||(α)||02h 10m 14s|
|Declination||(δ)||−50° 50′ 00″|
|Semimajor axis||(a)||0.113 AU|
|Eccentricity||(e)||0.0416 ± 0.0072|
|Orbital period||(P)||15.76491 ± 0.00039 d|
|(ω)||269 ± 16°|
|Time of periastron||(T0)||2451903.36 ± 0.59 JD|
|Semi-amplitude||(K)||376.7 ± 2.9 m/s|
|Discovery date||24 November 1998|
|Discoverer(s)||Mayor et al.|
|Discovery method||Doppler spectroscopy|
Gliese 86 b, sometimes referred to as Gliese 86 Ab (so as to distinguish the planet from companion star "B") and or shortened to Gl 86 b, is an extrasolar planet approximately 36 light-years away in the constellation of Eridanus. The planet was discovered orbiting a K-type dwarf star (Gliese 86) by French scientists in November 1998. The planet orbits very close to the star, completing an orbit in 15.78 days.
The preliminary astrometric measurements made with the Hipparcos space probe suggest the planet has an orbital inclination of 164.0° and a mass 15 times Jupiter, which would make the object a brown dwarf. However, further analysis suggests the Hipparcos measurements are not precise enough to reliably determine astrometric orbits of substellar companions, thus the orbital inclination and true mass of the candidate planet remain unknown.
The radial velocity measurements of Gliese 86 show a linear trend once the motion due to this planet are taken out. This may be associated with the orbital motion of the white dwarf companion star.
- Butler, R. et al. (2007). "Planets Table". Catalog of Nearby Exoplanets. Retrieved 2007-08-02.
- "Extrasolar Planet in Double Star System Discovered from La Silla" (Press release). Garching, Germany: European Southern Observatory. November 24, 1998. Retrieved December 29, 2012.
- Michel Mayor, Didier Queloz, Udry et al.
- Han et al.; Black, David C.; Gatewood, George (2001). "Preliminary astrometric masses for proposed extrasolar planetary companions". The Astrophysical Journal Letters 548 (1): L57–L60. Bibcode:2001ApJ...548L..57H. doi:10.1086/318927.
- Pourbaix, D. and Arenou, F. (2001). "Screening the Hipparcos-based astrometric orbits of sub-stellar objects". Astronomy and Astrophysics 372 (3): 935–944. arXiv:astro-ph/0104412. Bibcode:2001A&A...372..935P. doi:10.1051/0004-6361:20010597.
- "Gliese 86 b". Extrasolar Visions. Retrieved 2008-08-02.
- "Gliese 86 / HR 637 AB". SolStation. Retrieved 2008-08-02.
- "Notes for planet Gl 86 b". The Extrasolar Planets Encyclopaedia. Retrieved 2008-08-02.
|This extrasolar-planet-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|