Global Engine Alliance
|Key people||Bruce A. Baumbach (General Manager)|
The Global Engine Alliance LLC, was a joint venture of Chrysler, Mitsubishi Motors, and Hyundai Motor Company for developing a line of shared engines. In September 2009, Chrysler bought out the shares of Mitsubishi and Hyundai after a 5-year run of allied research and development.
Global Engine Manufacturing Alliance LLC, or GEMA is the manufacturing arm of the Global Engine Alliance and consisted of five factories worldwide; two in Dundee, Michigan, United States, two in South Korea and one in Shiga, Japan. Production began in 2005, with an annual capacity of approximately two million engines; each plant was capable of producing 420,000. Twenty different automobile models from the three companies will use the engines. Chrysler had expected to use GEMA produced engines in ten models and projects, and buy up to 840,000 GEMA produced engines annually. The Dundee plants, as of Dec., 2012, are now officially no longer part of the alliance, having been bought out by Chrysler and renamed the Chrysler Dundee Engine Plant(s).
The initial design of the engine block and cylinder head was handled by Hyundai. It features siamesed bores, an aluminum block with cast-iron cylinder liners, and an aluminum head. Different cylinder liners could be fitted to increase or decrease displacement depending on manufacturers needs. Each manufacturer configured their variants of the initial design differently based on their engineering needs and standards, so consumers may experience very different power, fuel efficiency, and "feel" from each manufacturer.
- Chrysler World engine - Chrysler's GEMA built engines
- Mitsubishi 4B1 engine - Mitsubishi's GEMA built engines
- Hyundai Theta engine - Hyundai's GEMA built engines
- "GEMA takes off: although some people think that the only place to build new manufacturing plants in the U.S. is in the southern states, a team of global companies has constructed one of the most flexible powertrain plants in the world in Michigan. Why? One answer is talent", Kevin M. Kelly, Automotive Design & Production, October 2005, FindArticles.com, 18 November 2007
- "Looking @ DCX's Global Engine", Automotive Design and Production, February 2005 issue
- "Global Engine Manufacturing Alliance World Engine Plant: Open for Business", Global Engine Alliance LLC press release, October 3, 2005. Retrieved on September 1, 2006.
- "DaimlerChrysler, Hyundai, and Mitsubishi Motors to Form Global Engine Alliance", Mitsubishi Motors website
- "Lean and Flexible Manufacturing", Waurzyniak, Patrick, Manufacturing Engineering, September 2006, FindArticles.com, 18 November 2007
- "Chrysler Buys GEMA Stakes from Mitsubishi and Hyundai", Holmes, Jake, Car and Driver Blog, September 2009