Global Footprint Network
||The neutrality of this article is disputed. (April 2012)|
Global Footprint Network, founded in 2003, is an independent think tank based in the United States, Belgium and Switzerland. It is established as a charitable not-for-profit organization in each of those three countries.
Global Footprint Network develops and promotes tools for advancing sustainability, including the Ecological Footprint and biocapacity. These tools aim at bringing ecological limits to the center of decision-making.
Global Footprint Network's goal is to create a future where all humans can live well, within the means of one planet Earth. Their headquarters are in Oakland, CA, but they also have offices in Geneva and Brussels. The Network brings together over 70 partner organizations, including WWF International, Sarasin bank, Pictet bank, the British think tank, the New Economics Foundation, and the UK consultancy Best Foot Forward. Their short-term ambition is to have 10 countries use the Ecological Footprint by 2015.
In 2012, and again in 2013, Global Footprint Network was recognized as one of the top 100 NGOs world wide by the Global Journal. 
Earth Overshoot Day
Also known as Ecological Debt Day, Earth Overshoot Day is the day in a year by which humanity has consumed as many of Earth's ecological services as nature can provide in a whole year. The first Earth Overshoot Day was December 19, 1987. In 2011, Earth Overshoot Day was in September 27. Global Footprint Network plans to accelerate the use of the Ecological Footprint, which measures the amount of resources we have and how much we use.
In 2003, Mathis Wackernagel, PhD, and Susan Burns founded Global Footprint Network, an international think-tank headquartered in Oakland, California, with offices in Geneva and Brussels. Wackernagel received an honorary doctorate in December 2007 from the University of Bern in Switzerland.
- President: Mathis Wackernagel
- Vice President: Susan Burns
- Vice President of Operations: Geoff Trotter
- Director of Finance and Administration: Emily Daniels
- Director of External Affairs and North America Region: Kath Delaney
- Director of Research and Standards: Juan Carlos Morales
- Director for Europe: Sebastian Winkler
- Senior Scientist: Alessandro Galli
- Board Chair: Terry Vogt
- Europe Board Member: Swiss entrepreneur and investor André Hoffmann
- Reproductive health
- Sustainable development
- Carrying capacity
- New Economics Foundation
- ecological footprint
References and further reading
- http://theglobaljournal.net/article/view/494/ and http://theglobaljournal.net/group/15-top-100-ngos-2013/article/986/
- "In the Eco-Red." New Scientist 192.2573 (Oct. 2006): 7. Gale Virtual Reference Library. Web. 20 Oct. 2009.
- "September 25 Is Earth Overshoot Day." Albawaba.com 24 September 2009. Gale Virtual Reference Library. Web. 20 Oct. 2009.