Global Village Telecom
|Type||Subsidiary of Telefónica|
|Key people||Amos Genish, (CEO)|
|Revenue||US$ 2.0 billion (2012)|
|Net income||US$ 878.4 million (2012)|
Global Village Telecom (GVT) is a Brazilian telecommunications company that offers services on landline telephone, broadband for both consumer and business, Pay TV and voice over IP. GVT has been in the market since the end of 2000.
The French company Vivendi bought a 58% stake of the company by the end of 2009, and raised its participation to 99.17% the following year.
Products and services
GVT is a company that offers high-speed broadband across its area of operation, pay TV with paid high-definition channels, as well as integrated and convergent advanced landline telephony.
The company offers broadband internet connection through ADSL, ADSL2 +, VDSL2 and FTTH technologies. It offers content and Internet services through the online portal POP, besides VoIP services through VONO to residential and micro-enterprise customers in Brazil (also usable outside the country). In 2012, the company also started to offer Pay TV packages.
GVT offers internet speeds of 15 Mbit/s, 25 Mbit/s, 35 Mbit/s, 50 Mbit/s and 150 Mbit/s, to all the 149 cities it serves, except in Erechim e Montenegro (Rio Grande do Sul); Paranaguá (Paraná); Porto Velho (Rondônia); Palmas, e Rio Branco (Acre), where speeds up to 20Mbit/s are supported.
Strategically, GVT built a network prepared for the convergence of voice, data and image, enabling it to offer higher than market average speeds speeds since the beginning of its operation in 2000. Currently, circa 70% of annual company investment is dedicated to expansion and improvement of the network.
The average Internet speed of GVT customer base reached 13.2Mbit/s in October 2013. The index is greater than the average speed of Brazilian Internet (2.4 Mbit/s) and countries with large technology development as South Korea (13.3Mbit/s) and USA (8.6Mbit/s) – source: Akamai Institute.
It is considered the best Brazilian broadband for five consecutive years (2009-2013) according to the open survey made with INFO Magazine readers  and the best telecommunication company by Isto É Magazine in 2013. In addition, the company won the EXAME/IBRC Award for best customer service in the fixed telephony category.
GVT also serves the enterprise segment, providing products and services, offering integrated solutions and managed services including fixed-line telephony, unified communication systems, hosted VoIP, Internet services, private-data networks and Data Center services.
Currently, GVT backbone covers 20 states: Acre, Alagoas, Bahia, Ceará, Espírito Santo, Goiás, Minas Gerais, Mato Grosso do Sul, Mato Grosso, Paraíba, Paraná, Pernambuco, Rondônia, Rio Grande do Norte, Sergipe, Tocantins, São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro, plus Distrito Federal (Brazil capital).
- São Paulo, Araraquara, Arujá, Bauru, Campinas, Guarulhos, Indaiatuba, Jundiaí, Mauá, Mogi das Cruzes, Osasco, Piracicaba, Santo André, Santos, São Bernardo do Campo, Ribeirão Preto, São Vicente, Sorocaba, Suzano, Várzea Paulista and Votorantim.
- Belo Horizonte, Betim, Contagem, Governador Valadares, Ipatinga, Coronel Fabriciano and Juiz de Fora.
- Vitória, Cariacica, Colatina, Linhares, Serra and Vila Velha.
Rio de Janeiro
- Rio de Janeiro, Campos dos Goytacazes, Duque de Caxias, Nilópolis, Niterói, Nova Iguaçu and São Gonçalo.
- Cuiabá, Várzea Grande and Rondonópolis.
- Goiânia, Anápolis, Aparecida de Goiânia, Cidade Ocidental, Luziânia, Rio Verde, Senador Canedo, Trindade and Valparaíso de Goiás.
Mato Grosso do Sul
- Campo Grande e Dourados.
- Brasília, Brazilândia, Cruzeiro, Paranoá, Planaltina, Samambaia, São Sebastião, Sobradinho and Taguatinga.
- Salvador, Alagoinhas, Camaçari, Feira de Santana, Lauro de Freitas and Simões Filho.
- Fortaleza, Caucaia and Maracanaú.
- João Pessoa, Campina Grande and Santa Rita.
- Recife, Camaragibe, Caruaru, Gravatá, Jaboatão dos Guararapes, Olinda, Paulista and Vitória de Santo Antão.
- Rio Branco.
- Porto Velho.
- 1. "Crédit des Alpes Leads Vivendi acquisition of GVT". L'Agefi (December 3, 2009). http://www.newsgateny.com/articles/credit-des-alpes-vivendi-buys-gvt-of-brazil.htm
- 2. “A GVT VAI MANTER A FIBRA?” (JANUARY, 21, 2013). http://epocanegocios.globo.com/Informacao/Dilemas/noticia/2012/04/gvt-vai-manter-fibra.html
- 3. “Akamai Releases Second Quarter 2013 'State of the Internet'” (October 16, 2013). http://www.akamai.com/html/about/press/releases/2013/press_101613.html
- 4. Prêmio Info 2013. http://info.abril.com.br/noticias/internet/fotonoticias/conheca-os-vencedores-do-premio-info-2013.shtml
- 5.” As Melhores da Dinheiro: GVT vence na categoria Telecomunicações (August 29, 2013).http://www.istoedinheiro.com.br/noticias/127463_AS+MELHORES+DA+DINHEIRO+GVT+VENCE+NA+CATEGORIA+TELECOMUNICACOES
- 6.”GVT recebe prêmio IBPC de atendimento ao cliente” (August 16, 2013)”. http://www.investne.com.br/geral/gvt-recebe-premio-ibrc-de-atendimento-ao-cliente
- (Portuguese) - official website