Global Wireless Solutions
Global Wireless Solutions, Inc. (GWS) is an independent performance measurement company headquartered in Dulles, Virginia. The company specializes in wireless network benchmarking, analysis, and testing. GWS benchmarking reports use Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) to analyze a wireless operator's performance throughout various markets and over time.
GWS performs drive testing to collect and monitor voice and packet data metrics on wireless networks. GWS maintains a fleet of test vehicles that are equipped with roof-mounted antenna systems, an intricate interior setup of mobile devices, and a data collection laptop to monitor mobile devices. These test vehicles drive along pre-determined test routes, which are designed to allow for data collection across a wide array of demographics.
GWS also conducts in-building network performance tests using a custom-designed data collection backpack equipped with mobile phone and data devices. Data collected from both the drive tests and in-building tests are used by mobile operators to make marketing claims and for engineering purposes to improve a network.
MobiStat, a web-based reporting and mapping tool, was created by GWS to illustrate mobile network performance. MobiStat is used to compile, analyze, and trend data for multiple years' worth of drive tests for markets worldwide.
Dr. Paul Carter founded Global Wireless Solutions, Inc. in 1996.
Since 2000, GWS has been performing nationwide benchmark testing.
Since 2002, GWS has driven over six million miles collecting data in the United States and other countries around the world.
In June 2009, Global Wireless Solutions, Inc. launched the mobile application, TroubleSpots, which allows everyday mobile phone users to report dropped calls and no-service areas to GWS in real-time.
In March 2011, May 2012, and May 2013 Global Wireless Solutions, Inc. worked with CTIA for their annual wireless conventions, CTIA Wireless 2011, 2012 and 2013. During each of these conventions, GWS performed testing to measure major wireless carriers' network performance in and around the convention centers, both before and during the events. The testing showed how each carrier performed with the heavy wireless traffic during the CTIA events.
FierceWireless recognized Global Wireless Solutions, Inc. as one of the top wireless companies of 2009 in its Fierce 15 list.
In 2011, the Virginia Chamber of Commerce named Global Wireless Solutions, Inc. as one of its Fantastic 50: a list of the fastest-growing companies in the state.
- Reuters; “Global Wireless Solutions Unveils “Mobistat” Interactive Reporting and Mapping Tool to Track Call Performance During;” April 1, 2009; http://www.reuters.com/article/2009/04/01/idUS167809+01-Apr-2009+MW20090401 %5D
- TEMS news; "Know Your Competitive Position through Benchmarking;" June 2003; http://www.gwsolutions.com/TEMS%20News%20June%2003.pdf http://www.gwsolutions.com/TEMS%20News%20June%2003.pdf ]
- Washington Business Journal; "Wireless network tester must evolve as quickly as the gadgets it analyzes; http://www.bizjournals.com/washington/stories/2010/10/04/smallb1.html?page=all ]
- RCR Wireless Interview with GWS CEO Dr. Paul Carter; listed here: http://www.rcrwireless.com/article/20100614/rcrlocal/rcr-local-reston-highlights-and-interviews/ ; View interview here (taken from 1:50 - 2:30): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-fD_LkB0xY&feature=player_embedded]
- FierceWireless; "The CTIA Wireless 2011 show floor in pictures;" by Mike Dano; March 25, 2011; http://www.fiercemobilecontent.com/slideshow/ctia-wireless-2011-show-floor-pictures?img=6]
- The Washington Post; "Firm's gadget-filled vans tests network quality for cellular, mobile broadband providers;" by Steven Overly; October 11, 2010; http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/10/08/AR2010100806220.html ]
- Fresh News "compile, analyze and trend data for multiple years' worth of drive tests for markets worldwide;" FreshNews;http://www.freshnews.com/news/154669/global-wireless-solutions-unveils-mobistat-interactive-reporting-and-mapping-tool-track-]
- Wirelessweek; “CTIA Testing Days 1, 2, 3;” May 23, 2013;http://www.wirelessweek.com/sites/wirelessweek.com/files/newsletter-ads/CTIA2013ShowDaily_Day3.pdf]
- Bloomberg Businessweek; "Company Overview of Global Wireless Solutions, Inc.; "http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/private/snapshot.asp?privcapId=6946040]
- Reuters; “Global Wireless Solutions Honored as Recipient of Virginia`s 2011 Fantastic 50 Awards;” http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/04/29/idUS142747+29-Apr-2011+BW20110429]
- "Global Wireless Solutions Introduces "TroubleSpots" iPhone Application for Reporting Wireless Network Problems;" April 01, 2009; http://finance.paidcontent.org/paidcontent/news/read?GUID=8429841]
- "Global Wireless Solutions Intros TroubleSpots App for BlackBerry Devices;" by Jyothi Shanbhag; March 23, 2010;http://technews.tmcnet.com/fixed-mobile-convergence/topics/mobile-communications/articles/79437-global-wireless-solutions-intros-troublespots-app-blackberry-devices.htm]
- Wirelessweek; "Carrier Networks Weather Heavy CTIA Traffic;" by Monica Alleven; May 10, 2012; http://www.wirelessweek.com/News/2012/05/News-carrier-networks-weather-ctia-traffic/]
- Wirelessweek; “GWS wraps up Network Test;” April 15, 2011; http://www.wirelessweek.com/articles/2011/04/gws-wraps-network-tests]
- Wirelessweek; “CTIA Testing Days 1, 2, 3;” May 23, 2013; http://www.wirelessweek.com/sites/wirelessweek.com/files/newsletter-ads/CTIA2013ShowDaily_Day3.pdf]
- FierceWireless; "Global Wireless Solutions - Top Wireless Company 2009: FierceWireless, Fierce 15;" 2009;http://www.fiercewireless.com/special-reports/global-wireless-solutions-top-wireless-company-2009-fiercewireless-fierce-15 ]
- "Global Wireless Solutions Honored as Recipient of Virginia’s 2011 Fantastic 50 Awards;" Loudoun County Department of Economic Development; http://188.8.131.52/Default.aspx?tabid=477]
Global Wireless Solutions, Inc. website