Gloria Gaither, August 2004
|Birth name||Gloria Lee Sickal|
March 4, 1942 |
Michigan, United States
|Associated acts||Bill Gaither
Bill Gaither Trio
Gloria Gaither (born March 4, 1942) is a Christian songwriter, author, speaker, editor, and academic. She is the wife of Bill Gaither and also sang in the Bill Gaither Trio, one of the most influential groups in recent Christian music.
Early Years 
She was born Gloria Lee Sickal in 1942 in Michigan, a daughter of pastor Lee Sickal and Dorothy Sickal. She spent most of her childhood and high school career in the Battle Creek area of Michigan, working a brief time for the Kellogg Company. When Sickal graduated from high school, she attended Anderson University in Anderson, Indiana. There, she triple majored in English, French, and Sociology. Upon her graduation, she took a job at Alexandria Monroe High School as a French teacher. There, she met Bill Gaither, who was teaching English at the time. She married Gaither in 1962, and they began writing songs recreationally. By the end of the 1960s, Gloria, Bill, and his brother Danny Gaither were touring steadily, as the Bill Gaither Trio.
Recent Projects 
After touring with the Bill Gaither Trio, Gaither drew her focus to the Gaither Homecoming series. She has been an active presence in every video production. Gaither is currently the scriptwriter and narrator for the Homecoming series. In 1991, she attended Ball State University and received a Master of Arts in Literature. She taught as an adjunct professor at Anderson University for periods in the late 80s and late 90s. In 1996, she spearheaded the creation of Gaither Family Resources in Alexandria, Indiana, and currently serves as co-owner and managing director. In 2002, Gaither launched Homecoming: The Magazine, and she currently acts as writer, interviewer, and contributing editor.
- Dove Awards
- Song of the Year: "Upon This Rock" - Gloria Gaither, Dony McGuire
- Songwriter of the Year
- Song of the Year: "In the Name of the Lord" - Phil McHugh, Gloria Gaither, Sandi Patti Helvering
- Southern Gospel Album: Reunion: A Gospel Homecoming Celebration - Bill Gaither, Gloria Gaither
- Gospel Music Hall of Fame
- Grammy Awards
- Southern, Country or Bluegrass Gospel Album: Kennedy Center Homecoming - Bill and Gloria Gaither and their Homecoming Friends
- Best Southern, Country or Bluegrass Gospel Album: Bill & Gloria Gaither Present a Billy Graham Music Homecoming - Bill & Gloria Gaither and the Homecoming Friends
- Academic Awards
- "gaitherfamilyresources.net". gaitherfamilyresources.net. Retrieved 2012-04-30.
- "Homecoming Magazine Subscription". Magazine.homecomingmagazine.com. Retrieved 2012-04-30.
- http://www.indwes.edu/news/2010/World-Changer-Convocation.htm[dead link]
- "Indiana Wesleyan University to Honor Gaithers". The Wesleyan Church. March 16, 2010.